Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Buck Pics & Video-injured non-typ >

Buck Pics & Video-injured non-typ

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Pics & Video-injured non-typ

Old 09-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buck Pics & Video-injured non-typ

I've been getting pictures of this buck for 3 years. Hit by a car as a yearling. The first pic is his first rack. The 2nd is at 2.5yo. The video is this year at 3.5yo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itlYiH_mjyg
Attached Thumbnails Buck Pics & Video-injured non-typ-jan-8-2009-half-rack_4.jpg   Buck Pics & Video-injured non-typ-deformed-big-buck-no-velvet_3.jpg  

Last edited by BarnesX.308; 09-29-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Man that guy is a true warrior! I shot one a few years back with a broken leg also. It had pretty much the same rack. I don't think a lot of people understand how stong deer really are. This goes to show that deer have a will to live! Good luck harvesting him
Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that I've been watching him for three years, and he's easy to identify as the same buck, I think I want to keep him around. It's really interesting to see how his rack grows over the years.

I wonder if he's always be a 3X1 or will he sprout some freak-nasty non-typical rack at 6 years old?

It would make a cool mount. Very unique.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

I've read that the pattern / styling of the rack is the same every year, so I would guess this is genetic. My advise is to harvest him and remove him from the gene pool.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

He looks really cool. I would probably try and take him if it were me. But thats just me. He is getting bigger, so if you think he'll survive another year or two, go for it.
-Jake
Old 09-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mac266
My advise is to harvest him and remove him from the gene pool.
x2, you never know if it's the injury or genetics. To me it's more genetic since he is still a fork on the right side after three yrs
Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the 3 point side is genetic, but the weird antler is on the opposite side as the injury.

If he was never injured, I think he'd be a big 6 point or maybe a 3X4. He'd never be a 5X5 or a 6X6.

However, if he keeps the same shape but increases in size, he'll be a pretty cool looking buck.

He just needs to avoid the cars. He lives in the suburbs so he doesn't see too much hunting pressure.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

He is a cool mount now. I live in Michigan and we seem to have more bucks like this than big ones. The one a shot similar too yours got his genes out, because the next year my dad shot a 8pt. Which one side of his rack was off to the side just not at dramic as the one I shot. The 8pt did not show any signs of an injury. Looking at the buck I don't think it could even breed because of the back leg being so bad.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looking at the buck I don't think it could even breed because of the back leg being so bad.
Doe on top????