Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where would you go?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Spike

Default Where would you go?

Hey, i'm new to huntingnet.com ive read alot of the posts over the past few months and with bow season starting i was wondering if any of you were hunting on the property where hunt, where would you go. any help would be nice. i just would like some new perspectives on this property.
Attached Thumbnails Where would you go?-hunting-north-ps.jpg   Where would you go?-close-up-north-ps.jpg   Where would you go?-south-side-ps.jpg  

Last edited by rg87; 09-27-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would look at the corners of the field to the north and Southwest, they both look to me like they would be likely travel routes between fields. During the rut I would keep an eye on the fencelines also. If you had a topo map that would definitely be some help too so we could tell the lay of the land. Acme mapper does a nice job showing topography.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

Well first off you can try to scout the area for deer trails,bedding areas,feeding sources, but don't just look at the property that you hunt. Look at it in wide perspective since deer will travel to their most preferred food source,be it acorns,apples,corn etc. and dont overlook water sources. If possible, you could glass the fields(morning,evening) to see where they're traveling to and from, just stay back a ways so you dont spook them. Good Hunting!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

You definitely need to look for deer sign to determine where they are moving. There looks to be a couple of nice funnel areas on the upper field of that North area. On the North of that field over to the east is a nice small funnel area that looks like a fence line. It comes out of a nice forested area. On that same field on the South part to the West is also a nice pinch point or funnel area coming out of the same large woods. I would check there for sure. Looks like a nice piece of property to hunt. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

I would sit along that small creek along the edge of those pines. I bet their are a couple deer bedded down in those pines and the will probably come on to your property to eat and drink.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Spike

Default topo

thanks for the acme link. heres the link to the topo map. ive been busy with work so i havent been able to go out lately but being early season ive read i should focus on acorns. ill post a picture of where ive found beds and previous scrapes and rubs. ive kicked up a couple nice bucks bedding in an old pasture field but it seems when i go out actually trying to find em they arent there. heres the topo link and ill post another picture. thanks for the help and advice.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=40.68227,...0Brewster%20OH
Attached Thumbnails Where would you go?-map.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Spike

Default quick scout

i did some quick scouting the other day using your tips and found alot of good stuff. corns still up with some nice soy fields. found alot of white oaks that are dropping and one ridge in particular i want to set up on but not sure what would be best. there's a line of white oaks the top of a hillside that is a staging area before coming out into the beans or corn. i deal mainly with a southwest wind and the location i want is only about 60 yards from the road. theres alot of trails leading down from the south going into the soy along the road but also deer bed about 30 yards from the white oaks where id like to sit. i thought about just walking the first row of corn all the way from the east and sneak into a blind at the edge of the corn and bust a buck thats eating the acorns alonf the ridge. theres alot of deer out and i dont want to get busted and have the buck move out before the pre rut kicks in. i appreciate your guys help.
Attached Thumbnails Where would you go?-north-side.-light-scouting.jpg