Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moon Phase

Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Moon Phase

how do ya'll hunt the full moon phase? do you find better eve hunts just prior and better morning hunts just after? or do you just hunt the middle of the day? or do you just stay on your normal hunting pattern? or do you sit in your stand at midnight on a full moon with a bow?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

In South Carolina you can only shoot between 1 hour before official sunrise and 1 hour after official sunset. Sitting in a stand at midnight would be dumb. I plan to be in the stand 1.5 hours before official sunrise. To get there, I walk as quietly as I can. If there's a full moon, I give myself a little more time and walk slower. As I get close to it, I'll walk a bit then stop for a few seconds. There's a better chance of being seen so I walk like a deer.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Spike

At mid night you will find me fast asleep in my bed dreaming about da turdy point buck...

In seriousness far as I know it is illegal to be hunting deer outside of the 30 before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset (in most states?).

Moon phases from what I read and have seen just delay when they head out to feed. I hear some say that they catch them going back in to bed but I have never personally seen that. I have found 4-7 days after a full moon if its over cast I see lots of deer moving early. I don't put a lot of thought into the moon phase simply because ... well being a lower man on the totem pole at work, I put my vacation times around others. I am getting to hunt the last full week of Oct, so hopefully I get something rutting early!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Last year after the full moon, activity really picked up for 10 days. However, the big buck encounters were about even for morning and evening. But that time of year, I go all day anyway. Not sure I helped you.. .
Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

From what I experienced during a full moon, I see movement between 10:00am to 1:00PM. But still I get in my stand about 6:00am and stay till I just can't stand it no more. As they say...."Can't shoot one from the couch".
Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

There has been and probably always will be a lot of hype printed about the moon phase. Personally I don't adjust or schedule my hunting around a certain phase. When I have a chance to be on stand I'm there. Sure, I might see more deer on a certain phase when weather conditions and all the other variables are just right, but like said earlier...........ya can't kill'em on the couch.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Spike

I don't adjust for the moon phase . I continue to hunt from sun rise to sun set.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for your views. you first two guys that replied obviously the part about sitting in the stand at midnight went right over your head. It was a joke.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yesterday I saw exactly zero deer sitting on stand from about 2:30 until dark. I'm a glutton for punishment so I'll be out tomorrow evening again. The full moon seems to mess me up big time.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

well, I will let my experiences out of the bag. which I have just compiled last season and until now. up till the full moon, I have had good afternoon movement, after full moon good morning movement with no evening sightings. I have seen deer in mid day in real secluded areas.