Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Forming a Plan of Attack: Partners in Crime!! >

Forming a Plan of Attack: Partners in Crime!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Forming a Plan of Attack: Partners in Crime!!

Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Forming a Plan of Attack: Partners in Crime!!

Below is the satellite image of a farm I will be able to hunt this season, once per week for sure, but hopefully twice. Being that this will be my 3rd season, I am the first to admit that I am a NOVICE whitetail hunter. If you have any suggestions to help formulate a plan of attack, please do! I spent a little time out there this past Sunday, but have a lot more scouting to do, so this post will only deal with what I know so far.

FYI, muzzleloader season starts 10/30 and full firearms season picks up 11/13 - 1/1. When would you STOP pre-season scouting so as not to deter the deer from their normal routines?

The blue line is the approximate boundary of the farm. Note that I have only scouted the WESTERN side of the farm so far, and not to the greatest extent.

The "men's room" icons shows nearby dwellings, which need to be considered as far as hunting direction goes.

The flaming teepee icons are where I SUSPECT deer may be bedding. I don't have visual confirmation, but they appear to be pine groves from the satellite (note that they are beyond the property lines). Most of the trees on the property are hardwoods.

The green icons are where I have located acorns in good supply, SO FAR. I need to walk the property more thoroughly when I have time.

The purple icons are an old fencerow (fence is totally down) and a small little stream that runs into a small pond at the end. Since we are in a draught, the creek has dried up and the pond is now very, VERY small and shallow. I did notice some deer tracks where the red icons are.

The fields had corn harvested from them, but I am not sure what is planted there now. I should have taken a picture, but right now they look like thick blades of grass about half and inch or so wide and about 6-8 inches long, growing in clumps of about 12 or so blades.

I did not see ANY rubs.

Again, there is more to be explored.

But so far, I am thinking that the western side is a good spot for evening ambushing. I mean, if they are still feeding on the acorns or in the fields in the wee hours of the morning before dawn, how can I sneak in there without being busted? After all, I have to enter the woods from the east. I could go all the way to the south where you see the creeks and ponds and try to come around behind them, but I feel like that's too risky and could easily get busted, then the whole woods will know I'm here. Would be nice to find a little crossing down there, especially if there is only one.

As far as the fencerow goes, I noticed a few tracks in there, but it was hard to see. There were a few tracks by the "pond" (more like a small swamp now) at the end of it, but the weeds were very thick down there so I couldn't tell a lot. Not sure if it would be worth setting up down there or not.

Here is a link to the map if you want to zoom, etc: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...34d8e&t=h&z=16

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 09-22-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

I'm not sure where your farm is at, and seasons vary by location. In Pennsylvania it is too early for deer to start rubbing yet. The rubbing that it takes to remove the velvet from the antlers only takes a couple of minutes and the deer eats the velvet - I guess it is full of protein.

Rubbing trees will not start until the rut has began. My guess is that if it is the state of Indiana or Illinois that will not be until the second week of November.

I would hunt the food source or the water.

You will not disturb the deers natural routine by walking around and doing some scouting.
Many good deer hunters finds their spots in small game season when they are hunting squirrels with a .22 or shotgun.

I wouldn't worry about using a trail camera. What I would be more concerned about is stand placement and maybe making a permanent deer stand at some point in time if you plan to hunt in foul weather. I would try to get as far back into the woods as I possibly could. If it was a rifle hunt and the neighbors were allowed on the property, I would try to walk into the woods as early as possible. The thought being that if you got to your stand at 5 AM and the neighbors walked in at 6, you would scare the deer towards the neighbors and when the neighbors walked in they would scare the deer back into you.

This theory has worked for me dozens of times in the past.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

First thing I would want to know is, what is planted in the fields?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

MDR, deer won't get spooked by me trouncing around with a .22 and bagging squirrels? I saw a lot of squirrels and was tempted, but I don't want to disturb the territory. I kinda feel like it's crapping where you eat...or is it sleep? Anyway, I think it would cause them to become more nocturnal.

Also, I don't see how I could approach the western side since I have to come from the east. The deer would see my coming. Unless I could work my way up the northern creek and then in to the woods behind them. I do not know if the neighbors hunt. It is not my farm and the landowner would not know a thing about the place.

I am in Virginia. But I didn't see old rubs from last year either.

timbercruiser - I don't know what's in the fields but I described it above.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Spike

I'm very much a newbie and will be going out for the first time this season... I'm curious to know how others approach this. It's an interesting screen shot to say the least and I would guess there is a lot of potential there.

Aside from the obvious acorns you've located, what other food source(s) are nearby and/or on the property?

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I'm assuming you've seen deer on the property? If so, is there a buck in particular that you're targeting and/or have visually witnessed? If so, have you been able to identify his patterns or anything of that nature?

Lastly, I'm curious, as well about the statement made about deer hunters scouting potential deer hunting land while doing small game hunting. Is this in anyway a deterrent to the potential deer on the property? i.e., can you (or should you) utilize the same property for small game hunting that you will be also be using not too many weeks down the road for deer hunting?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

AMMO - Nice avatar!

If you click on the link and zoom in a bit, you'll be able to see the house at the end of the driveway on the property. To the southeast just a bit, you'll see a very small pond. I was told last season that there was a 12-pointer who would come into that pond from the east about 5:30 every morning. I was only able to hunt there once last season, and suddenly I heard two deer crashing to my spot, one from the east and one from the north. The wind was in my favor for the eastern deer, but not for the northern deer. I was winded and the deer wheezed. I never got to see either!

Hopefully that 12-pointer is still around. I'll be waiting for him this season!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
I'm not sure where your farm is at, and seasons vary by location. In Pennsylvania it is too early for deer to start rubbing yet. The rubbing that it takes to remove the velvet from the antlers only takes a couple of minutes and the deer eats the velvet - I guess it is full of protein.

Rubbing trees will not start until the rut has began. My guess is that if it is the state of Indiana or Illinois that will not be until the second week of November.

I would hunt the food source or the water.

You will not disturb the deers natural routine by walking around and doing some scouting.
Many good deer hunters finds their spots in small game season when they are hunting squirrels with a .22 or shotgun.

I wouldn't worry about using a trail camera. What I would be more concerned about is stand placement and maybe making a permanent deer stand at some point in time if you plan to hunt in foul weather. I would try to get as far back into the woods as I possibly could. If it was a rifle hunt and the neighbors were allowed on the property, I would try to walk into the woods as early as possible. The thought being that if you got to your stand at 5 AM and the neighbors walked in at 6, you would scare the deer towards the neighbors and when the neighbors walked in they would scare the deer back into you.

This theory has worked for me dozens of times in the past.

The more I read your posts, the more I think you have zero idea of what you're talking about.

We've had rubs for several weeks now in NE Indiana. Deer on our cams haven't been in velvet since August.

Why do you get on here and tell people things as if they're facts, when in reality you have no idea what you're talking about at all? What's next, you're going to tell us a smooth bore shotgun barrel is better than a rifled barrel? Oh wait, you already did that.

Come on, MDH...you're sounding more like a troll each time you post a reply.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
AMMO - Nice avatar!

If you click on the link and zoom in a bit, you'll be able to see the house at the end of the driveway on the property. To the southeast just a bit, you'll see a very small pond. I was told last season that there was a 12-pointer who would come into that pond from the east about 5:30 every morning. I was only able to hunt there once last season, and suddenly I heard two deer crashing to my spot, one from the east and one from the north. The wind was in my favor for the eastern deer, but not for the northern deer. I was winded and the deer wheezed. I never got to see either!

Hopefully that 12-pointer is still around. I'll be waiting for him this season!

Clicked on the link and checked out the pond you were referring to... lots of really nice character on that property, overall. Tons of structure and lots of very interesting attributes. More than enough to keep you busy if you get out a couple of times a week this season! You mentioned you're heading back out there to do some scouting again this weekend...?

Bring a camera along, if you're able to and keep me posted. I'm really curious to see if you find any other interesting areas on the land that you're thinking about hunting. It's topics like these that really help out newbies like myself.

Best of luck to you!!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Don't agree with no cameras and the rubbing stuff mentioned above, the bucks I'm seeing in NY are no longer in velvet.

Get a few cameras in there to see where they are traveling, you have several good pinch points and a nice funnel to work with. I suspect they are moving along that ditch right where you have the back property lines drawn

Consider coming up that ditch from the SE off of State Route 661 if you can get permission from that land owner. If so, walk (or swim, is it water?) that ditch and position yourself at the corner of the hardwood/field where that hedge row leads to the water (that's a great funnel).

Or ask the neighbor in the middle for permission to drive up his driveway and park in the field to the East. That would save you some time and sweat.

East is tough to get in, I agree with you about afternoon hunts if your scouting has the bedroom area correct.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 09-24-2010 at 07:24 AM.