Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

getting sleepy

Old 09-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Spike

Default getting sleepy

What do you guys do when you get sleepy and start nodding? In the past I used to pop a handful of sunflower seeds in my mouth. Sometimes it make me more thirsty though. Do you normally get down from your treestand or what do you do?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

i usually just go ahead and fall asleep i sleep light enough that if something comes by i will wake up
Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Spike

I wouldn't recommend sleeping in a stand, harness or not. I've actually got down and slept at the base of my tree before. I didn't kill that morning so I can't really say if it's a good plan or not.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

The way I snore might bring that buck in thinking it's a grunt!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Typical Buck

Chewing on some peanuts or almonds helps. I have also chewed on roasted coffee beans for a caffeine shot. Sometimes you get a little bean fragment down your windpipe and have to cough though. This year, I found some little energy chews I'm going to try. They are little gel candies for long distance runners. It's kinda like a gummi bear with gatorade and caffeine inside.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

I usually take a snort of some shine. just jokin. stand up move around. I to wouldnt reccomend sleeping in stand, you could miss the one 300" giant moose whitetail.

anyone ever tried the 5 hour energy drink? caffein gives me the jitters and shakey shooting.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Stand up for a while. Changing positions helps keep me alert. Just don't do it very often, and be sure to carefully scan the area before you make any large movements like that...and make them as slowly as possible when you do it.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Banned

Build a permanent tree stand with sides on it and sleep all you want.

It's better to be in the woods - sleeping then down in camp sleeping.

I don't think that the deer mind it one bit. Most deer do not look up, they look out. So if something is not right, they see it a long time before we do.

Some of those new style tree stands are so comfortable that you could use them for a lazy-boy chair anyways. You ever see that commercial on TV where the guy has a telephone pole in his living-room and uses his tree stand as a chair to watch television..
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

The 5 hour energy drinks do work without any side effects. Save yourself some cash if you have a dollar store around and see if they carry the stacker 2's. They are the same thing but, you guessed it, they are only 1 dollar.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of my stands have large arm rests and a foot rest. In the mornings I like to look at the stars...that keeps me awake. When I go out in the early afternoon...I tend to nod off for a while. I just tighten up the safety straps and get some shut eye.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.