Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spikes

Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

I'm nota trophy hunter I kill what I'll eat and usually kill one each year for a elderly lady who let's me hunt her farm. After that I go for buck only but if I kill it I eat it.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

So because theres one bad apple in the system that you witnessed. We as hunters shouldn't support our local food banks? Well sir I think your comments and thinking are ridculous. There are families that need the food bank to feed their families.

Of course you are allowed your opinion and I respect that.

Back to what that post is about. Spikes will get bigger. Let'em grow.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Let em grow. they have proven on the king ranch its impossible to control the genes of a free roaming whitetails. Some of the recessive genes are actually in the doe. If you want to shot a spike cause its food or its a trophy for you, then great. But if you think your helping the herd, your really not. If you want to cull an animal, shoot the old does, they eat all the food and dont breed anymore, thus creating less of a resource for your spikes to grow up and become monsters. And as far as deformed racks go, sometimes those are the coolest ones, ive been letting one buck go for 3 years now on my dads farm, his right side always swoops down like an eye guard and goes out from his face, If i get the chance at him this year it will be an amazing deer, saw him a month ago, and ill i can say is oh my god!!! what a monster freak!