Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
This may be a dumb question, but.... >

This may be a dumb question, but....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This may be a dumb question, but....

Old 09-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Spike

Default This may be a dumb question, but....

ok this may be a dumb question, but do deer dig? Lately when I go out to check our hunting area I've been noticing odd prints, like either a big deer or possibly some wild hogs? Also i keep finding holes all over the field, just like a single hoof dug a 2-4" deep hole. The holes always appear to be wet as well. There's also been unusual "droppings" in the field. Could it be that we have wild hogs there now? oh, it's on state land so I'm not too comfortable with putting up trail cams and leaving them there
Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

I have had deer dig 2' deep holes where I had salt,also turkey will scratch at the ground when feeding i see this lot,alot of animals dig.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like hogs to me where is it?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool

What state are you in? Are there hogs in your area? I saw where the Deer have dug around where we put corn down and the area has about 2" depth and clear hoof marks. Why it would be wet I can't answer though other than a heavy due weting it in the early part of the day. I don't know if hogs dig and then piss where they dig but I'm sure your would smell that if they did. When you figure it out let us know I'm curious about it.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Spike

Could be hogs or armadillo. Armadillo dig holes about that size and eat alot of roots and bugs but if there are large tracks, I would lean more towards hogs, especially since there are droppings you don't recognize.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deer crap will be usually pellets, like a goat. You should be able to tell the difference in a deer and a hog track.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Spike

I'm in Michigan, we do have hogs,but I've never seen one or any signs of 'em so I wasn't too sure. The area we hunt is near some swampy areas and further back in the woods it"s not uncommon to find some pretty mushy ground even though it doesn't look like it would be