Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question important!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Banned

I wouldn't worry anyways.

We had a camp that had no electricity and one time you would walk out of the camp to start the generator and the deer would be down in the woods snorting up a storm and the next time you looked out the window with the electric lights on - the deer were standing out in front of the camp eating apples - not 30 feet away.

3 cars parked right in front of the camp.

If their bellies are aching for something special - it don't matter what they see or what they smell or what they hear, they are going to go and eat what they smell before something else gets it first.

Deer are pretty stupid, but at the same time, when they snort, they not only warn the other deer that something is not right, they also know what time the dinner bell rings. You take a deer feeder that is on a timer. When they hear that motor start up - they come running like cows to a bucket of chop. Some people have even designed a contraption that makes a noise just like the motor on the deer feeder that they made the noise to trick the deer into thinking that the feeder just went off and that makes them think that they need to hurry up and get down there before all the feed is gone. Sometimes they will stand right behind you - while you load the bags of feed into the feeders.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Spike

I've found that if you just blow back at them (just a hard blow immitating their's with your mouth) it takes their edge off and they tend to stay in the area.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by NHbuckhunter
i just got in from the woods and the wind was in my favor the whole time then all of a sudden 40 mins before dark i hear a deer snorting and whistleing like 10 times then kinda trotted away this was like 150 yards down over the ridge i never saw the deer and it never saw me and the wind was in my face what do you think caused this
If you never saw the deer how do you know that it didn't see you? IMO, too many hunters worry about scent more than they do movement. Don't rule out the possibility that the deer may have detected a movement of yours which alerted it and might have never even winded you.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

X 2 on the wind currents..it was evening hunt?
Your scent naturally travels downhillin the evening and uphill in the morning..you if you want what was snorting at ya, mornin is your best chance there..going lower than he/she was is another option?

I have had does snort at me 30 yards away, and stomp their feet, and act like they are gonna charge, they are just tryin to see if im a threat..i just stay cool and they keep on foraging. If you were bouncing around trying to figure out what it was, you might have been busted.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to tell but a few thoughts to ponder...

As mentioned thermals have wrecked many a hunt. Try dried up milk weeds to watch what the wind is doing away from you stand, its a great visual aid.

Could there be another hunter posted a couple hundred yards from you.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would bet on coyote, another person, dog or something else if the wind was with you.