Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Bow Season

Old 09-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Spike

Default First Bow Season

I am going out this year with a Parker Deerhunter XP 50lb, 29in draw. I am using Easton xx78 2313 arrows and Rage3 mechanical broadheads. I have it sighted in at 25, 35, and 40 yards with a 2in, 3in, 4in grouping respectively.
I will be hunting on the ground with this as I do not have the extra cash to buy a tree stand and you can not leave a ladder stand in the woods on public land.
Any advice on max distance I should take the shot at? I am practicing with a box filled full of newspaper packed in tight. At 35 yards I am getting about 4in penetration with practice heads. I am guessing that I will end up about 6in with a broadhead. Is that good enough to bring down a nice deer?
Old 09-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

did ya ever get those paper shots in?
what ended up being the problem?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd worry more about hitting the target than penetration. A deer's chest will allow much more than tightly packed newspapers...
Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish you luck this season. Be, patient it will all fall together one day.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

If you don't hit a shoulder you should get a pass thru. JMHO, I don't like mechs. at any poundage. As I said it is JMHO.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Should work Ive bohunted for years just ain't got one with a bow yet
Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Typical Buck

50# is a little on the low side from a KE standpoint and especially with a mechanical head but will do the job IF your bow is tuned well as those 78's are a fairly heavy shaft. At that draw weight and 29" it has to be flying like a dart. Make sure all the kick is gone from your arrows.
As stated above, your penitration should be better baring a shoulder hit because newspaper is harder to pass thru than lungs. My first bow back in the day was a Bear Whitetail Hunter that maxed at about 50#. you could watch the arrow rainbow at 30 yards and I killed a few deer with it. It agins today's trend but you don't need 340 fps to hunt deer....but it is nice. Groups aren't bad but keep tightening them if you can. I only shoot out to 30 yards ( MY personal limit but not a rule) and want ideal conditions to do so but practice at 60. If I can shoot good groups at 60, 15-20 yards seems like a chip shot.

My only recomendation would be to look at a good fixed head. Again, not a rule but will help penitration with a light draw weight. My son took his first deer at 30# draw with a Muzzy 100 but his bow was also shooting perfect thru paper and the same with FT and BH.
Good luck whatever you decide to do and welcome to the greatest addiction known to man! We want pictures of your first bow deer to!