Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

safety harness

Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Spike

Default safety harness

How many of you use a safety harness while hunting in a treestand? I've never used one in the 15 years I've been hunting, but I'm starting to think if I should. How many of you use a safety harness and what kind?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a good reason to wear a safety harness.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10126.html

And that was a U.S. made stand. I am not sure if all the components were U.S. made, but they could be all U.S. made.

I heard recently that the hardware on a lot of ladder and tree stands are made in China, and they do not weather well. The person suggested replacing hardware with U.S. made stainless components.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

wear a safety harness!!!! you are just very fortunate in the 15 years of hunting that you have not had an accident yet! hunter safety system or muddy make the best and easiest to use safety harnesses imo. but just get one!!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Always wear a harness. It only takes once and you will regret not having one
I have had some near falls and it reminds me to always have one on
Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Absolute Safety is Required

It is important that all hunters wear safety harnesses. Why hunters are wearing their harnesses in places like Georgia, trudging into the woods with any uncomfortableness, while carrying their 300 lb weight limit tree stands, through the 95 degree afternoon, during archery season.

Added to this, many are carting in their excess body fat of over twenty pounds.

Safety requires it.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear one. I use the one that came with my stand. I can't bring myself to spend the heavy money to buy a HSS.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas View Post
I wear one. I use the one that came with my stand. I can't bring myself to spend the heavy money to buy a HSS.
so do i, i would like a hss but dont want to drop a 100 bux on a harness
Old 09-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Spike

Prime example of why one should wear a harness.. A young lady whom I used to work with several years ago was given the news that her husband had fallen from his stand while bow hunting. The arrow that he had knocked on his bow which fell with him pierced his neck to which ended his life. He was about 26 years old. Need I say more?