Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

decoys

Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default decoys

Im looking to buy some deer decoys, buck and doe. Any recommendations/
Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Banned

A decoy might work during the rut, but where I live, if you tried to use a decoy in rifle season, all you would end up with is a decoy full of holes.

The deer decoys are real, live, deer!

Hunt the food source, find out where the does are hanging out and hunt where you see lot's of does.
When the rut starts - where the girls are - so too will the boys be!

I try to stay away from bedding areas. You also want to stay away from places that deer uses as a sanctuary. Let them have some places where they can run and hide during the day and catch them when they are traveling to the fields in the evenings and coming out of the fields in the morning.

If you can find a patch of hardwoods full of producing white oaks and a large amount of acorns on the ground, that would be your best bet for success.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

I reread my post to make sure I asked the correct question. I am pretty competent on killing deer, my question was on what decoys those who use decoys are preferred.
I am preparing for rut. during the previous two seasons, I watched bucks bolt towards does in the field edges only to move away from my stand locations. We have an abundance of food and travel routes. I said to myself last year on several occasions, " if I only had one of those does standing right here."
I would like a nice doe decoy to stick out in front of the stand for those post rut bucks that cant get enough. I have never hunted with a decoy but would like to give one a try. Any suggestions?