Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

acorns

Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

I didn't intend to start a big debate,we cant always agree and maybe I know the difference between a buck track and a doe track and maybe I don't but all the evidence I see in the field tells me that I do know the difference,as far as the buck not being mature he weighed 185 pounds,I never look at the antlers on a deers head to determine if its a shooter or not I go by body mass,I have never been a trophy hunter nor looked at deer hunting as a sport,I do it because the meat is 90% better then anything in the store and for the deer being 2 1/2 years old you are dead wrong his teeth was dang near down to nothing he is bigger and better looking in person.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Spike

Wow, my second post i've read in 24hrs of people arguing over Blackhawks posts. The last one has been going on for a year now.

Tool
Old 09-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the subject of acorns, I have had a ton dropped in my back yard. And guess what? They are TINY. Most of the size of my pinky nail, and that's being generous. We have had a pretty severe drought this summer, so this is somewhat expected. I just didn't expect them to be THAT small. This will make for an interesting fall/winter for the deer for sure.

Need new bumper sticker: Shoot a squirrel, save a deer.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

We had good rains here all year,so the there is some good size to the acorns where I am hunting,lots of squirrels to never see those suckers until deer season.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by twcw5804
Wow, my second post i've read in 24hrs of people arguing over Blackhawks posts. The last one has been going on for a year now.

Tool
I am a tool because some don't agree with me?

I thought as people we was entitled to our own opinions.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Why is the name of this thread "acorns"?
Old 09-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

it was originally about the large amount of acorns,but like anything on the internet turns into a big debate.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

The only way I can tell the difference between doe and buck tracks is to get on all fours and smell them.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

So does it pay to gather up the acorns and use them around your stand when time comes to hunt a particular area? I gathered up a 5 gallon pail of White Oak acorns from a local park and was thinking of saving them for later in the season after the squirrels have had their fill.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know for sure that a small amount like that would help you wouldnt hurt to try tho,if I were going to bait I would most likely buy a bunch of apples.