Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where did all my deer go??

Old 09-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I expected problems with technology

Some of the best bucks of the future will get harvested only on a trail cam.
Many hunters think they can change the rules and keep deer on 100 or 200 acres, exclusively.
And if everybody is putting out "food plots", it's like nobody putting out food plots. Deer have a choice of visits; and it might not be yours.

A couple of years like that, and trail cams might wind up in a box in the attic.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Spike

Well I have been spraying down everytime I go into the woods. So I dont think scent is the problem. I am going to dump a little corn and some apples down and leave it alone until opening day. Then we will see what happens.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cbookout89
im not trying to bait deer just get them coming in.
Isn't that the same thing?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SuperRedHawk
If the property is surrounded by road and houses, you probably had the perfect funnel. I think you're freaking them out by putting out all that crap, plus YOUR scent.
A little corn maybe, but leave the area alone, and let them feel comfortable cruising through there again!
Agreed. If you are actually hunting a natural funnel (sounds like you are), you don't even need all of that bait. All of your running around out there pressuring the deer before the hunt even starts is probably counter productive. You might be much better off just staying out of the area for a few weeks to let it quiet down, and then slip in there and nail one when they're not expecting you to be there.

Well I have been spraying down everytime I go into the woods. So I dont think scent is the problem
15 acres is actually a pretty small area, and the deer know every last twig in that funnel. Even with scent control, they're probably aware of your presence in there. Just a thought.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cbookout89
Well I have been spraying down everytime I go into the woods. So I dont think scent is the problem. I am going to dump a little corn and some apples down and leave it alone until opening day. Then we will see what happens.
Not even close to being a scent control freak.

Where did the corn and apples come from?

You'll learn.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

well my freezer of course lol!

but seriously ....another food source and /or changing patterns.imo
Old 09-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Spike

Definitely too much action and they have caught on. Calm down, lay off the infomercial guarantees and do the less is more. Deer patterns change with every season. They understand weather is changing, and mast is falling. Vist 1 more time and lay off. What will be, will be.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say maybe our going in there too much. My friend talked me into trying deerpain. I tried it in two different counties nothing. Its crap and doesn't work. If you think it's the cain just turn it over with a shovel. You'll be fine.

I still say it's cause your going in too much. I do it sometimes also. I put a camera out and check it tooooo much, and then I started to scare Good luck.deer off. Find some corn still on the cob throw it oout and give it 7 days in between camera checks.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by eerdog
Calm down, lay off the infomercial guarantees .
lol

Say it ain't so.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Spike

I would not through anything out it's because they are not feeding on the beans anymore. Once you get a good frost they will be heading back to the beans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.