Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help please

Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Spike

Default Help please

We own vacant land and for the first time, two men stopped by to ask if they can hunt for bucks. First, keep in mind that I an am animal lover and haven't eaten meat for 30 years. I can imagine the reaction that will get on this forum. I am not, however, opposed to hunting, believe it or not. I actually think hunting for one's own food is a lot more humane than eating factory farmed meat where the animal endures a life of hardship, possible abuse and then a painful death.

I have a question for experience hunters. Hopefully, you guys can help. Which is more humane, bow hunting or hunting with a shotgun. I'm reading on this forum that a lot has to do with the hunter's skills. Am I to assume that because the two guys that want to hunt my land are skilled because they are sheriffs and frequent target practice?

What questions should I ask them to ensure they are hunting "correctly". I'm leaning towards allowing this but don't wish to advocate irresponsible hunting practices on my land.

What are your thoughts and comments please?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

No bad reaction here, I am glad you are asking this question rather than turning them down outright.

You can ask them the obvious questions such as how many years have they deer hunted, how many deer have they taken, etc. But they could easily lie about that. Hopefully they wouldn't since they are deputies. Other than those types of questions, I don't know what else to ask.

As for bow vs. gun hunting, a well placed arrow is just as deadly as a gun shot. I know most hunters don't want to admit it, but it is much easier with modern firearms to take a well placed gun shot than it is by bow. Even with practice, it would be easier to wound a deer with a bow than it is with a gun. I think also, that a less than ideally placed shot with a rifle will cause the deer to die quicker than a less than ideally placed arrow.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Spike

Thanks, ADVWannabee.

I try not to make rash decisions and would rather be educated and informed when forming my decision. My instincts and emotions tell me to tell the hunters no. I'm a girl so I'm probably more sensitive than my audience here and you'll probably think I'm nuts to know that this decision is plaguing me and that I'm so stressed about it. My logical side is trying to approach this differently and to consider all angles of the scenario.

You have just reiterated to me what a family member hunter has informed me...which is that a bow is a lot more tricky to place accurately than a bullet. He said a twig or a gust of wind can get in the way of the best bow hunter out there and displace the arrow to cause the animal a slow death.

I appreciate your input. Thank you for your for being honest and open to my questions. Hopefully others will reply. I told the hunters I would let them know tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for appearing to have an open mind regarding hunting. Hunting helps to keep a healthy balance of wild animals. It is less painful for an animal to die from an ethical hunter than from a predator animal. For an animal to be killed by another animal is less painful than dying from a disease due to overpopulation of that species.

My family owns land, and we hunt on it. Don't automatically group anyone as being safe, experienced and skilled in hunting; but also don't automatically group anyone as being inexperienced and careless either until you have facts to base an opinion. Here is a suggestion. Ask them to tell you some hunting stories. Talk with them to see what the maximum distance they have shot a deer with a shotgun. Ask them how far they are willing to shoot at a deer on your property. Tell them to show up that same day or the following day (if it is good shooting weather) with their firearms and ammo to show you they have the skills they claim. Have targets for them to shoot at those distances and see how they do. Also watch how they handle their firearms. Just because they are LE does not mean they safely handle firearms, but it also does not mean they are not safe either.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you want to say no but are having a hard time with it because you have a hard time telling anyone no. While I hate to advise a land owner to not allow hunting, in your case you probably should say no. Everyone assumes that if someone asks you for something, you should say yes. It is human nature to want to help someone out. But no is a perfectly good answer in many cases too. If you really don't like the idea of someone hunting animals on your land, go ahead and say no. You will sleep better having done that.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

I think asking the right questions is very important. I hunt mostly in a very urban area and proper shot placement is a most.

I do apploud you for taking there offer into consideration.

As far as them being deputies (no offense to anyone) that doesnt make them any better of hunter. I have had the pleasure to hunt and perform tactical shooting exercieses with a variety of people and some of the best are regular joes, not law enforcement. I think asking how long they have hunted is a start. Then go into more detail, like have you hunted in this area? Are you familiar with game around here? How do you hunt? Treestand, spot and stalk and so forth. If they do things like deer drives there is a higher risk for injured deer, while stand hunting that risk goes down (not eliminated though).

If they want to bowhunt, ask to see them shoot out to 35yards, they can bring a target over and display there skills with there equipment. Both methods, gun and bow you stand the chance of wounding an animal. But the more proficient the hunter the less that becomes a problem.

Ask them what safety percautions they will use on your land.

Ive hunted for 15 years in a very populated area and practice and time make the difference. If they deputies seem to be able display there skills and have all the answers quickly then there is a good chance they will suit you just fine. And since your not the meat eating type i would ask them to be very discrete about taking game out.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Blazing Star,
As others have said Thank You for taking the time to come here and attempt to inform yourself! I for 1 respect and applaud you for that. Now depending on the amount of land you have, and the amount of deer on your property, this would or should be a general question. Deer management is a wise idea. You should develop your own goals for the management of your property. I see no problem with allowing people to hunt if there is a goal involved. Hunting is hunting and both weapons are effective for dispatching game and are only as useful as the skill of the person firing them. If there are deer there and the land can not sustain them, then by all means I would allow it to be hunted. Hunter experience would be the next thing to look at. I would want at least one hunter with some experience maybe 5 or more years would be alright. Ultimately it is your decision and I hope this helps.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Spike

Thanks for the good suggestions. I am not going to put these guys through more interviewing. I have already asked them a ton of questions. They are more than aware of my concerns and are now probably sorry they even asked me. I think they're sticking around only because we have nice habitat for hunting. We're restoring the land to natives and have tons of animals, including deer. They can see the deer tracks near our creek. Poor guys have to put up with me now. It's amazing they are still being so nice to me.

ADVWannabee, I'm not having a hard time of this because I can't say no to people. I'm having a hard time as I try not to make decisions on my emotions but rather based on logic. The logical side of me says hunting is the best, most humane option for meat eaters. People have to eat. Just because I'm anti meat doesn't mean I have to expect others to be anti meat. I prepare meat all the time for people. I try to buy from humanely certified sources. I don't expect others to adopt my eating restrictions. Hunters have to eat, too. Like I say, better to get an animal from the wild and have it living a good life until it serves a food purpose. I just don't like the animal suffering that's involved. Factory farmed animals endure much more suffering than you guys impose on the animals (thank you).

County1, you bring up a good point. Deer are abundant in my area as it's rural there. The DNR is hunting them just to put them down due to disease from over population. That's another reason why I'm leaning toward allowing the hunting. Better to have those deer serve sustenance than to be discarded with no use. These guys tell me one buck each would last them an entire year. If I knew the deer would go down quick and painless, I would have a resounding yes for these guys.

I think I have come to the conclusion that I will let them hunt and just ask them to look for another piece of land for next year. If they can't locate this, I can have an open dialogue with them depending on how I feel about it after this first year. I'll probably go visit the land just to get a feel for what's going on there.

Thanks for helping me reconcile this, guys. I appreciate you're not harassing me for being conflicted about what you guys do. I'll book mark this site and let you know how this ends up after the season is over. Wish me luck. I hope I don't have to come back on here asking you guys to calm my nerves about this.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Spike

crenshaw and kswild, I received your replies after I posted. Are you guys all serious I should ask them out with targets to show me how they shoot? Is this normal or would they consider that I'm some nut case? Did people ask you to do this?

We only have 5 acres but it's very rural and I have one of the smallest parcels out there. Everyone else has 25 - over 100 acre parcels so my parcel is part of a much larger piece of undeveloped land. It's really pretty, too.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Well i hunt in a extremely urban area. 5 acres is a large lot around me. So yes i have been asked to shoot before. Granted bowhunting is the only method where i primarily hunt. But because of the small tract sizes i have had a few landowners ask to see me shoot just to verify that i could do what i say i could. I have had to do a lot of weird things in order to hunt. Its not a bad idea if your concerned about it, might put some of your thoughts to rest. At the end of the day you want to make sure your comfortable with your choice, and as a hunter who has asked countless amounts of people for permission in my life I think of it as my job to make sure you have faith in me, and its on me to prove to you that i can hunt ethically and successfully. Hunting is a priveledge and im sure they wont have a problem doing it if they can receive permission.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.