Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand harness

Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Spike

Default Treestand harness

does everybody here use a treestand harness if you do what kind and who dosent? and as well are ratchet straps good for haging treestands
Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I always wear a harness. About 20 years ago I fell out and shattered my right wrist and I don't want to go through that or worse again. Bothers me to this day
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

I have always used a safety harness. I am using the hunter safety sytem right now cause its comfterble and easy to put on. also ratchet straps are fine to use for hanging tree stands cause some tree stands come with ratchet straps to use for hanging them. You just need to make sure they are strong enough to hold up the tree stand and your weight.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

I always wear a harness. Use to wear the chest strap kind which is the worst kind. Now wear the kind that goes under the legs too. I have read that 1/3 of hunters will fall out of a stand but I have a hard time believing it is that high of percentage. I have also read that half of all falls of 15 feet or more are fatal. So, stats being suspect or not, it just isn't worth the risk. But then again, lots of people ride motorcycles without helmets so it all comes down to personal choice.

I do know someone who was practicing with their bow from a stand and got dizzy and fell. He messed up his back. I will always wear a harness.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Spike

I have a hunter safety system but dont always wear it for some reason.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

I wear a Hunter Safety System vest, it's easy and convenient. I always wear when in Hang On or Climbing stand or 20ft ladder stands. I do not wear it in standard 15 ft laddder stands, unless I am sitting for long periods of time where I may want to take a nap.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:47 AM
Spike

When I'm tired or when the weather is bad (windy,raining,snowing) I always have one on.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Spike

I always wear one. Used to wear a Hunter's Safety System, but the dog got ahold of it. Now I just have one of the ones that comes with most new stands. If you don't wear one for yourself, wear it for your loved ones.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Always, hunter's safety vest, whether I am in my climber, lock on or ladder stand. I hook on to the tree when I start to climb and I'm always hooked on until I am down. The only time I unhook is if I have to put on or take off layers of clothing, then it is right back on.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

I don't leave the ground without mine on. Had my climber bottom slip and I swung into the tree face first one time years ago. I ended up with a bloody nose and couple loose teeth but I'd hate to think what would have happened without a harness.