Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Virginia law

Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Spike

Default Virginia law

Today i went to walmart looking around at the hunting stuff and saw they had the book with all the Virginia hunting laws ect. in it for 2010-2011 in so i picked one up. One of the first things in the book are the new laws for 2010-2011 and i notice a law i have never heard of, it says "It is now legal for a person to possess shed antlers from deer." meaning it was once illegal to have sheds. I never knew there was a law agianst having shed antlers, i cant even think of the reasoning for that being illegal. This is in Virginia just incase you forgot the title. Did anyone know this law existed? Any Opinions on this?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

I am in Virginia and have never heard of that law either. I guess they figure if you have sheds you must have illegally killed the deer they came from as you couldn't possibly have found them in the woods. Sounds like one of the many stupid laws on the books.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are plenty of antiquated laws on the books, as Sportsmen it's our job to know and abide by them...

Is this the first time you have read the Regulation Digest in your state???
Old 09-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

i heard the samething over the weekend and at first it didnt make any sense at all to me and when i asked someone else they looked at me like i was dumb. but im glad this was brought up so i can understand why you couldnt have sheds. i know many people that go shed hunting in VA
Old 09-15-2010, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite Virginia law is the one that forbids hunting on Sundays.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
There are plenty of antiquated laws on the books, as Sportsmen it's our job to know and abide by them...

Is this the first time you have read the Regulation Digest in your state???
no this is not the first time i have read the Regulation Digest for VA but i dont ever recall seeing that but if it was i law i guess it was there somewhere.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

the reason is unconstitutional but for some reason the dnr's are above that. The reason is people poach and because they do they pass laws forbidding everyone from possessing any part of a deer without a tag.

Just another case of the law abiding being punished for a crime they never committed. Great they changed it, they do seem to be coming around on those issues.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

I've been hunting all my life and don't remember seeing it either. Virginia is one of the most heavly regulated states in the U.S. Not just game laws but in everything. But what are ya gonna do? I agree I hate the no Sunday hunting also and VDFG says surveys tell them we don't want Sunday hunting! Bull! I don't recall EVER talking to one hunter that wanted the law. I have written letters and signed petitions personally but don't think it will be changed any time soon. For years I worked 6 days a week and didn't get home until after 4 PM. Makes it tough to hunt when it's dark by 5:30. For some reason I got the flu several times a year during the rut and had to call in sick! LOL!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shed antlers differ just a little bit in comparison to antlers from a poached buck. Most notably, poached antlers generally have a skull attached. Either that, or they are cut from the skull with a saw.

I have found a few dead bucks during hunting season. I have taken a couple sets of antlers to use for rattling. It may not have been legal in my state, whatever. I can take a CO right to the carcass if anyone ever asks.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Shed antlers differ just a little bit in comparison to antlers from a poached buck. Most notably, poached antlers generally have a skull attached. Either that, or they are cut from the skull with a saw.

I have found a few dead bucks during hunting season. I have taken a couple sets of antlers to use for rattling. It may not have been legal in my state, whatever. I can take a CO right to the carcass if anyone ever asks.
Won't matter if you don't have a tag unless the law is changed and should be. "Who's to say if you didn't kill the deer for the rack" is what you'll most likely here and then there will be a charge and a court date and and and... In the end the state will have done nothing more than been at work for a day and you will have had a painful learning experience.

Not getting down on you, just explaining reason has little to do with it.

All because somebody might poach. That is so unamerican. Prove your innocent when it is prove me guilty. Because the law reads you cannot have any part without a tag they are covered in their "your guilty". Cheap shot on hunters IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.