Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on deer antler size

Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Spike

Default Question on deer antler size

Is it true that spikes and fork horn bucks never grow into big bucks? I have heard that they only turn out to be little crap bucks and should be taken out of the herd.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

no, not true at all. every buck starts out that way. that is their during the first yr. (hence the name yearling) how big the rack gets over the years depends on the genetics.

it would be freaky seeing a fawn/yearling with a monster rack...lol!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

There was a study on this a while back and it concluded that spikes and forks are competetive on rack size by the time they hit 3 1/2 years of age. So spikers are not junk bucks at an older age.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are usually just late born in the season bucks.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Spike

This is good news....cause I have A LOT of spike runnin around our property. I was going to target them to fill the freezer with.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muzzlearcher
This is good news....cause I have A LOT of spike runnin around our property. I was going to target them to fill the freezer with.
don't do that.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muzzlearcher
Depends on their age. We had a spike on some property that we hunted a few years ago. There was a buck that grew nothing but main beams. Last time I saw him I would have easily put him at 5 1/2 yr old. We tried like hell to get him, but couldn't and never did.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMHO there is nothing wrong with shooting a few spikes if they are legal. You can have too many bucks or does on your property. A healthy herd is not over populated with either.