Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Dipping Wintergreen while deer hunting? >

Dipping Wintergreen while deer hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dipping Wintergreen while deer hunting?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Spike

i have had at least 5 different deer come under my stand and start lickin the spit but i dip copenhagen
Old 09-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

I shot my biggest buck last year with a cig hanging out of my mouth. He was downwind too. They really aren't as smart as everyone makes them out to be.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are Chris Ledoux fans and they're aware that smokeless is the best way to kill and prevent worms. I haven't had trouble from ground blinds...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
Ok,so i dip Copenhagen Wintergreen. Will the smell scare the deer away? Or do they like that smell? Thanks
Haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this has already been mentioned already...wintergreen grows wild in many areas, so it's probably not an unusual odor to deer. The stuff you chew smells stronger than the plants because it's a concentrated odor, but it smells pretty similar to the plant IMO. Not sure if the deer can also smell human odor on it if it's on your trail or not though.

edit: To add, I think all of the scent control stuff varies depending on what the deer are used to smelling. If they're around people year round, smoking, etc is already part of their environment, but if you're far back out of the way, it's probably more foreign to them. One place I bowhunt is covered with biking and hiking trails. I probably need almost no scent control there because the deer commonly step 50 yards into the woods to watch people go by.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 09-14-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet Skoal Apple Blend would be more like a lure wouldnt it? Because it smells just like apples.......
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
Ok,so i dip Copenhagen Wintergreen. Will the smell scare the deer away? Or do they like that smell? Thanks
I had one ask for a dip one time! Well, the only way they don't like it is if you spit on em.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I had a buck about turn inside out when he put his nose to the ground below my stand one time. Whether he smelled the Copenhagen or my scent, who knows? I spit in a bottle while gun hunting (put it in the front of by coat to reduce movement), but take my chances and spit on the ground while bowhunting.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

I dip grizzly wintergreen to. I once had an 8 point walk under my tripod and took one sniff where i had been spitting and bolted. I really dont think it bothers them cause i have never had any deer spook by smellin it or any of them blow at me from smelling it besides the one that actually sniffed the ground where i spit at.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Spike

I made this same statement on another thread a few days back asking what woudl you tell young hunters they need to learn to be successful. One poster said scent control. My reply was scent control is religion to some and ignored by some. with the example; I have a buddy that he and his dad have a trophy wall and his dad smokes like a train, and camo is whatever set of hunting clothes they have laying around.

Me, Red Seal Wintergreen Fine cut :-)
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

I dip grizzly mint and sometimes apple skoal and havnt ever spooked a deer because of that. The only scent control I use is the scent killer washing detergent. The only cover scent I use is either vanilla or tinks69 and the smell of grizzly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.