Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ringing in the ears

Old 09-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Spike

Default ringing in the ears

As a deer hunter I know I am not the only one haunted by this. I cannot hear deer walking unless they are on top of me. I know there are a few over-the-counter products that claim they help with tinititis. Has anyone ever tried any of these products or know of anything that helps, other than surgery?
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Fork Horn

I feel your pain.
I am about 90% deaf in my left ear, due to a virus I had years ago, damaging that ear.
My "Stereo" hearing is now gone.
What I do have left is a constant, low level "pinnngggg" sort of ringing sound, that really troubles me when I'm trying to focus on a sound in the woods for example.

I've tried various potions, and remedies (mostly oils). They didn't help me in my case at all.

When I hear a twig crack, I have to do a quick "snap-snap" left right look. Otherwise me hearing will fool me.
It really hurts my ablility to jump deer in brush.
I sadly will probably never enjoy that option as much as I did when I was younger.

Just really lean on your visual skills more. Watch other forest animals more, pattern the deer, so you have a better idea on which way they are going at what times, pick sites with more shooting lanes ie. more time to shoot, etc.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

Doesn't getting old suck? LOL, not calling anyone old here!

Being downrange of live fire exercises in the Army has damaged my hearing some too. I'm not able to tell direction of sounds as well as I could in my younger days. There are some Over-the-counter drugs that claim to 'stop the ringing', but I have never tried them. Low barometric pressure days are the worst for me.

Would the Walkers Game ear help much? I have thought about getting one of these, just not happy about the price.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same here, I blew a hole in my left eardrum about 30 years ago and it rings all the time. I think being around and shooting 155mm guns did the most damage. Telling direction of sound is close to impossible. I bought one of those hearing enhancement earmuffs and it helps a lot, but just isn't the same as normal hearing. I make sure my grandsons have earplugs or muffs on especially when target shooting.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also fight tinnitus. When everything gets quiet it sounds like I have a gazillion crickets in my ears. I just try to ignore it. Iam going to try Lipo.flavanoid as it is supposed to stop it. We'll see.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know if it will help you against the tinitis but when I'm in the woods I will spend small amounts of time with my yes closed. (And no I don't ever do it while standing on a tree stand platform)

I do this for several reasons. 1 is meditation. I meditate nearly every day and it is a period where I breath and try to return my mind, body and soul to a warm relaxed feeling - a fresh start. Once I am there I can pray. In the woods I believe that I can hear better and think clearly to decide what it is that I am hearing.

It may sound a little backwards but maybe giving your eyes a rest can help. Sounds like you are in a position where it wouldn't hurt to atleast give it a try.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tinnitus. I have had it for many years. Mine is a loud ringing, but I have become used to it, so it doesn't drive me crazy. Got mine through years of duck hunting. Lots of shotgun blasts going off next to my ears. I wish I could turn back the clock and use hearing protection.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
I also fight tinnitus. When everything gets quiet it sounds like I have a gazillion crickets in my ears. I just try to ignore it. Iam going to try Lipo.flavanoid as it is supposed to stop it. We'll see.

I've thought about using it, but I'm not sure there is a cure for tinnitus. I'm thinking once your eardrums are damaged, it's irreversable. Let me know if it helps. If it does help you, I will give it a try. Hope it works.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

According to the Army Doctors I saw there is no cure. We were told this before going to any range day activities.

FYI "Range Day" is when we re qualify with our weapons. Its generally loud, hot and at the end of the day you get to go home when every thing is cleaned up. Not before.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suffer from tinnitus as well. I have it real bad and I do not believe there is a cure. I almost never here deer coming I rely on my sight 100%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.