Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

sick to my stomach

Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default sick to my stomach

I have killed my fair share of deer, but never even had the opportunity at a monster. That is until tonight. Its getting dark and I hear a deer off to my left. Mind you I have been covered in skeetos for about three hours now. My mindset is Im not about to deal with cuttin up a doe in 80 degree weather with skeetos. As this deer gets closer, I realize hey its a little 6 still in velvet. Then he gets closer and I realize that a monster 8 point with about ten inch tines and at least a 20 inch spread. I dont lie about these thing, the biggest buck I ever took was a 9 point and he was not that impressive. Anyways, he starts taking the long way around me and i think, this sucker is gonna walk right around me. Im a little disappointed, but its alright cause I know hes around and I havent spooked him. Then he stops and looks right at me. By this time I have skeetos in my ears nose and even took a bite on my eyeball. He turns around and starts heading away and for some reason I decided to chance the shot. It was close enough but I couldn't get my position right. I had buck fever. Im thinking I should just lay off this spot for a while and maybe Ill have a shot at him later. Im also thinking, hes a mature buck and hes probably gone for good. what do yall think. dont judge me. haha
Old 09-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you've told us a sob story, about a bad shot that you admit you shouldn't have probably taken. Than ask us not to judge you?
How, can we do that? We have been there and done it before as well, so there is some sympathy, but not much.

Please, tell us that your going back out to finish tracking this deer, or at the very least determine that it was a clean miss.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Well did he actually take the shot. He said he decided to chance it but couldn't get his position right(or whatever). He never told us he actually took it. LOL Stuff happens. Give it a few days and go back at it.

P.S. Have you ever heard of Thermacell? It really takes care of a lot of those skeeter problems. Don't worry about what little smell they give off at this time of year. You're suppose to be hunting the wind anyway... and in this heat you stink no matter what you do.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

i did take the shot. It was a clean miss. the whole judging request was more of a joke. might have to get one of those thermacells. wasnt a sob story, well maybe a little. Wanted it to be more of a question of am I right to back off and how long. My logic was to back off and hope for the best when the rut comes in. Just want ideas thats all.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You said he looked right at you. But did he see you? If he just slowly walks away then I don't believe he seen you as a threat. And when the arrow went by him, I'm assuming is when he took off. If this were me,I'd wait a couple weeks and try again or I may move the stand about 50 yards or so closer to where he came from in the 1st place. If he's going to avoid the area you were then you may have a better shot at him before he reaches it. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mottz is right. I had deer look directly at me from a close as 15 feet and not be able to determine I was a threat. You may have looked out of place but not enough to alarm him. You may have blown it but again you may not have. I would give the area a rest. If there are some doe around there he may come cruising the area later.
An arrow flying by wont necessarily spook him as long as it was a complete miss. You may have startled him. But if he never actually detected you - you could still be in good shape. Next time dont take an iffy shot. Its your responsibility as an ethical hunter to only take shot you are confident in. And even then there are things that can go wrong. An unseen twig, the animal ducks or lunges forward, all resulting in a less than perfect shot.