Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Temporary Disturbance

Old 09-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Temporary Disturbance

How long after hanging Deer stands or seting up blinds does it take for the Deer to come back into that area and resume their normal patterns? Or will they avoid an area and not return after such a disturbance of their habitat if they see you puting them up?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

I had pictures just this year of two does coming by just an hour and a half after, however, it was probably a day or two before I saw a buck. I don't know if this was just because the bucks didn't wanna come in or if it was due to the disturbence.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

It all depends. How much scent did you leave behind? How much tree trimming did you do? How much foilage was trampled? etc...

Another consideration you have to think about is if there are alternate trails for them in the area and if so, how many? The more alternates the longer they may use them instead if there is even anything giving them a little spook by your stand. But they'll return.

But if you didn't tear the place up I would say a week.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where would they be able to go, if they had to avoid all places they have seen a human in the past?

Deer really aren't all that bright. They have highly developed senses and survival instincts. They pattern hunters as much as hunters pattern them. Deer will adjust their movements to avoid stand locations, if the stand is overhunted especially in a bad wind direction. Deer will not avoid an area because they saw a person there one time.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Talking survival instincts, correct.

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Where would they be able to go, if they had to avoid all places they have seen a human in the past?

Deer really aren't all that bright. They have highly developed senses and survival instincts. They pattern hunters as much as hunters pattern them. Deer will adjust their movements to avoid stand locations, if the stand is overhunted especially in a bad wind direction. Deer will not avoid an area because they saw a person there one time.
They don't see ya at night, see the pattern? They may not be very bright, but, they are a very patient species. I've learned hunting tactics are year round, I've always moved stands in March. I've always scouted per se, for the next year, during the season I'm currently hunting. Jumping deer in SEP does you NO good. You'll never know about the 20 or so nice ones that got away. I have 8 solid set ups and haven't had to make a single adjustment in several seasons. Less change and disturbance in their "living room" the better for you. Just sharing "my" experiences!!!

Last edited by tight360; 09-10-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have actually been climbing a tree with a climber for an evening hunt and stopped half way up and shot a buck that walked in while I was climbing. I ahve also been in a logged area the very next day and seen deer tracks on the brand new loggin road.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Yep,

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
I have actually been climbing a tree with a climber for an evening hunt and stopped half way up and shot a buck that walked in while I was climbing. I ahve also been in a logged area the very next day and seen deer tracks on the brand new loggin road.
they're in my backyard as I type this, where was your bow when you were climbing? I'm sure the conditions were perfect for him to stroll on by, are you a guide? They was gett'n them fresh tops last night, after the cutt'n. Yep, seen that too.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Spike

I don't think it is a set time. If there is no where better to go then they might come back. It just depends on too many factors to give an reasonable kind of answer. I would just keep checking my game camera and see if they came back or not. If not I would try a different spot.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have put up stands and cleared shooting lanes and killed deer out of it that afternoon. the best thing to do is go in with a chainsaw, I gaurantee when you leave they will come investigate what just happened.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that deer are keenly aware of everything in their piece of woods. Anything out of place will certainly be noted but once the deer have gotten used to that change, they will accept it. The scent left behind would certainly be regarded as a threat. That should not be a factor after a day or two and the change in landscape would also be accepted in a short period of time.

That being said, the deer have a knack for patterning hunters, those who use the same trail every day at the same time of day. Alter your plans and direction when arrivng at your stand. try to keep your scent to a minimum. This can greatly be improved by always wearing gloves and never, ever, touching leaves, branches, ect with you bare hands. The scent left behind will not be to your advantage.