Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are you prepared for this season? >

Are you prepared for this season?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you prepared for this season?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Spike

Default Are you prepared for this season?

I feel like im ready for my very first deer season, but i also feel like i need so many more things before the season starts. i did my first 3d comp with the bow monday, and scored 190 out of 220 possible in my class, with realistic shots from 25 to 50 yards. so im comfortable with my bow.

have been scouting my area for a month, which i feel isnt enough. its public land, which is all i have in my state(IL). still working on a morning routine to get my gear and myself to my tree, up the tree, and ready without being detected or leaving a long scent trail.

i believe im going to use rage 2 broadheads or bladerunners, i need to decide soon. i dont have any calls, will i be alright without one or should one? tips?

Sorry for the noobie post. ive been hunting a long time, just not for "big" game. pheasant, quail, coyote, coon, squirrel, rabbit, and dove is my usual quarry. they are going to the side once deer season comes.

any other tips or advice you care to give will be much appreciated!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

No. My wife is guilting me about getting some of the stuff I want.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the 20 years that I have been deer hunting, I have learned that no matter how prepared you thin you are, you ain't. The trick that I have found to work for me is to make a list of what I want\need for a specific hunt\season. I then get it together, locate it in an easy to find position and check it frequently. As time goes by some things have been added, but more things have been found to be un-necessary and have been removed from the lists.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have a few trail cams up....check. Bow sighted in and has been for two weeks....check. Stand locations picked......check. Hang Stands.....nope. Washed hunting clothes....nope.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Spike

You'll be fine without any deer calls...Which will be not used untill the rut..And from my experience in the woods is...The deer not knowing your there is better then any deer call u can have...Just put alotta time in the woods and ull be successfull...

P.S.!!!!!! If your hunting public land...U will want to sit in the stand longer then the average hunter...They stay 5am- 10am... Make sure your sitting longer..Hunters getting out the woods makeing noise will push the deer to you...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Spike

1.pick the broad heads you plan on hunting with and either get a second set of blades or practice blades and practice with broad heads .they might not hit the exact same place your field points do.
alot of broad head companys claim "flys LIKE a field point" that doesn't mean they will hit WHERE a field point does.
2. like said in the above post. sit as long as you can stand it and then sit some more. alot of deer are killed in the middle of the day.if you can hunt the peak of the rut plan on sitting allday.you never know when a buck will be chaseing does.
3.dont worry about a call. they will do more harm then good if you dont know how and when to use them. just sit as quite as posible and be safe. if your not used to being in a tree stand for a long time were a saftey harness.it can and will save your butt.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by critterkiller88
I feel like im ready for my very first deer season, but i also feel like i need so many more things before the season starts. i did my first 3d comp with the bow monday, and scored 190 out of 220 possible in my class, with realistic shots from 25 to 50 yards. so im comfortable with my bow.

have been scouting my area for a month, which i feel isnt enough. its public land, which is all i have in my state(IL). still working on a morning routine to get my gear and myself to my tree, up the tree, and ready without being detected or leaving a long scent trail.

i believe im going to use rage 2 broadheads or bladerunners, i need to decide soon. i dont have any calls, will i be alright without one or should one? tips?

Sorry for the noobie post. ive been hunting a long time, just not for "big" game. pheasant, quail, coyote, coon, squirrel, rabbit, and dove is my usual quarry. they are going to the side once deer season comes.

any other tips or advice you care to give will be much appreciated!
Always tell some one where you are hunting, the general area, and/or leave a map on the window of your vehical.
Carry a compas, and cell phone.
And when in a tree stand, always wear a saftey harness.
The Life you save will be your Life.

Good Luck.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice y'all. A harness will be used. I wear one for work alot so its a no brainer. (Oil refinery). They are starting to pull corn so the deer should b heading to the woods soon. I drive by my hunting land on my way to work everyday I'm getting pumped
Old 09-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

do yourself a favor and get a grunt and a bleat can. But you have to learn when to use them and when not to. First, don't call to a deer that is coming to you anyways, that will almost always work against you. A deer call will not send a deer running away but it will give up your position (scent control,scent contro, scent control). 2nd, let the deer dictate how much you call. Thier body language will tell you everything. I have had more deer respond in a positve way than a negative way.

Get yourself a good pack. I like packs with a deep center and lots of pockets. All extra clothing goes in the deep center to keep sweating at a minimum (scent control) and enough pockets so everything has a place and keeps it organized.