Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Stand

Old 09-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Spike

Default Deer Stand

Here is a picture and discription on how I built this stand, Let me know if you have any ideas what you have

www.huntbunk.com/Jeff/Disp/Blog-Detail/Target/87
Old 09-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Spike

All our members at my camp built 4x6 box stands some on the ground some 6'. Mine is 4' off the ground. I made two windows across the foward faceing 6' foot wall. I like big windows and I put the Cheapest plexi glass I could find for windows and they fold down inside the stand. Be sure to paint the inside of the stand a dark color so you are not high lighted.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

don't know how loud it can be outside the stand, but merely dropping a bullet or bumping your binoc's is near deafening to me inside. I went to a carpet shop and got scraps and used on the inside for quietness. laws in my hunt area in NC are must be 10ft above ground to shoot rifle. you may want to verify this also b-4 you build. other than that build it right, I prefer screws as they won't loosen over time. I love a good shooting house for all day sit's, taking kids, the wife and not so great day's
Old 09-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think carpeted floors would be a must in box stands. Even carpeted walls would be nice.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Spike

Nice stand! Looks very heavy though.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

I once built a 4x4 stand similar to that, but on the ground. First time I tried shooting at a deer with a bow, the limbs of the bow smacked the inside of the blind when I shot (arrow missed by a mile, too). If I were to do it again, I'd make it 4x6 or larger, and align it so I could shoot out the long way - not the 4' way.
As already noted, carpet all over the interior would be helpful to muffle any noise.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Box stands are nice, unless you ever have to move one. I had rather have a good enclosed ladder stand.