Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Budget Bullets or Premium Bullets >

Budget Bullets or Premium Bullets

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Budget Bullets or Premium Bullets

Old 09-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Spike

Default Budget Bullets or Premium Bullets

What do yall think about the old soft points against the premium bullets like barns HSM and others? I have found the old cor loks have done me best and I have tried Barnes Hornady sst and ballistic tips and I always come back to the soft points.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

my best rouds are Winchester ballistic tips, I use them in my .280 and my wife uses them in her .243. they do a great job not many deer have taken more than 1 step .
Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends on the rifle, game, and what shoots the best...

I'd prefer 1 to do it all, but if a certain case develops where 1 do it all won't do the job well, I'd switch it up.

Once the rifle is sighted in, the cost of ammo in pretty negligible. Ie 1 bullet per animal killed.....

of course a deer at 100yds from a 270 isn't an elk at 400yds.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

What shoots the best in your gun and still performs the way you want it to. You will hardly hear many complaints on core lokts down range performance but I never could get them to shoot out of my rifles.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I've used both but as of now I only use one premium. In my 270 I use 140gr corlok ultra. 30-06 150 gr powerpoints 260=140gr corlokt 3030=160gr leverlutions 7mm rem mag=150gr corlokts. I like fusions also.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me it boils down to accuracy when selecting a bullet for deer sized game. I also like a bullet to open up quicker on deer, mess the vitals up vs zinging right thru. Assuming the bullets for which your are selecting are big game intended, go with whichever one shoots the best in your rifle (s).

Larger game its a different ball game, accuracy is always important but tough hide, bone and muscle structure coupled with tougher shot situationsshots make it far more important to consider the construction of the bullet as paramount for pentration purposes.

I don't like comprimising therefor I don't really subscribe to the one bullet do it all mentality. Instead I prefer specific tools for the task. This is based on experience with standard and premium bullets a like on animals ranging from antelope to moose.

Bullet cost isn't a factor for me, the increase in cost is minuscule to the other costs associated with hunting.

Just my penny worth

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 09-06-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

remington core lokt has always done me just fine. i shoot hand loadeds barnes hollow points in my 7mag. they sure to massave damage.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Spike

Winchester ballistic tips on a white tail deer are the way to go. Those bullets are some kinda strong. You hit one where you're supppose to and it's not going to take a step. One bullet, one deer. Price is low compared to arrows etc.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

If you are a typical hunter that will probably never take a shot over 150 yards, I doubt it matters much....all rounds will strike within a 3 inch circle.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had a problem with the core loct either. I run the 180psp in my 30-06.