Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old Buck?

Old 09-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Old Buck?

I recently captured this guy on my cudd. Ive analyzed several photos of him next to other deer and I believe this buck to be around 6 or 7. His body is enormous compared to the others. This is in SC so the deer where I hunt normally are pretty small. What do you all think.I want to try and harvest him but I wanted all your thoughts on him. I know his antlers are anything huge but pretty unique. I think he's on the downword slope of antler growth. I think harvesting a buck this old is a trophy in itself.
Attached Thumbnails Old Buck?-cdy_0346.jpg  
Old 09-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

I would! I agree with you. He looks like he's pretty old. The antlers aren't anything amazing like you said, but it'd still be a great buck to harvest! Good luck!
-Jake
Old 09-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

I think is an old deer in decline
Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Hard to tell from the picture but if he is a declining buck I think I would let him walk let him bred, he has good genes (he was a good one once), besides he is not a "mounter", and an old buck like that is not the best for eating, jmop Doc
Old 09-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

this buck may not be breeding anymore, he is prolly gettin his arse beat by the studs neearby, but not he is no good for eating, and really isn't worth taxidermy bill. I'd let him walk
Old 09-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Just an observation but is that ol' Bullwinkle in the upper left of that photo? There's your shooter!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Certainly an old deer, you can tell by the length of his nose and declining rack. You would have to grind him at least twice just to be able to chew sausage lol.