Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer lure's Vs Cover scents

Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Spike

Default Deer lure's Vs Cover scents

I want to see other hunters opinions on what they like to use, deer lures such as doe in estrous of cover scents like fox or raccoon urine. When where and why do you use either. I've used both and feel I have had better results with the cover scents in general.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

I always spray fox or coon urine on my boots. In the past I have had shooter bucks cut my trail in and stop dead in there tracks and back out. Now when I spray urine it doesn't bother them much, they might sniff a little but they keep coming in. I only use Mrs. Doe Pee when I know the bucks are really fired up looking. Usually from Oct. 31 until mid Nov.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it makes you feel better, use cover scents - but they do nothing to help. Deer can process many different orders at the same time - one scent does not cover, hide or overpower them to the point where another is not processed. Waste of time and money.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had no "lucK" with any commercial cover or lure scent. The only things that I do is lay down a drag line using urine from deer I have killed and smear oily tarsal glands on nearby saplings. I cannot 100% say that any of this it does any good. But then again I have not seen any evidence that it hurt.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

I like to use scent cover
Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lookingforthebigone
I like to use scent cover
Just curious - why?
It's impossible for them to hide your scent from a deer.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

I like to use a plain doe urine (not estrous) on my boots. It definitely helps cover your trail. I also use it around my stand / blind.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleganydeerslayer
I like to use a plain doe urine (not estrous) on my boots. It definitely helps cover your trail. I also use it around my stand / blind.
Doe urine is an attractant or curiousity scent - it does not and cannot cover/hide your scent.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

Any cover scent used is intended to not only "cover" but to take the focus off of your scent, so your stink isn't the main focus and doesn't raise an alarm. If it didn't work the Indians and old Trappers wouldn't have made and used them. I have had scenarios both ways over the coarse of 35 years of hunting and know for a fact scents work. Maybe they don't completly cover, but they take the focus off of you. SteveBNy I don't know why your so negative on scent. You can't just use scent, you have to do everything else along with it, shower, wash your cloths and spray down. Cover scent and attractents are tools to use along with others.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trappers and indians did not have the science we do - and most scents used by trappers are for attracting - a totally different purpose. They would boil traps to eliminate oder.

I do believe that scents can be used for attraction and curiosity.

I do believe our scent can be reduced so that we may be percieved as less of a threat based on how close we appear to be.

I don't believe they is any way to confuse a prey animal by adding any scent whose life depends on their nose and have the proven ability to process and distinguish many scents at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.