Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness >

New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness

Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Spike

Default New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness

I'm a new hunter, and need help deciding on a climbing tree stand, one that's been around a while and proven to be safe, and a "best deal for the money".

I notice that some come with a 4-point safety harness, while others don't. Are the ones that come with a stand cheapies. In addition to the stand, how much should you need to pay for a decent saftey harness?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

do yourself a favor and buy a Hunter Safety System vest. they are comfy and simple to use which= you will use it every time. as far as climbing stands Summit, Lone Wolf are my top picks but lotta dough
Old 08-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Summit climbers
Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I bought an expensive LW hand climber & it came with a cheapo safety harness that I never cared for. Then I bought 2 cheapo Wallyworld ladder stands that each came with pretty descent harnesses that I feel good wearing. So of course I use the comfortable harness with all stands. I like the LW stands, but they're not cheap. I haven't tried the vest-harness yet, but I'm betting it's the best. It's good you want to use the harness - I've de-hydrated before & felt woozy while up in the stand. Be safe & always use your safety harness because you never know.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

get a an ameristep grizzly it is a little heavy but it is a solid stand. the harness ok but i have an ameristep one from walmart thats seems much better quality
Old 08-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summit Viper or Ol'Man Vision
Hunter Safety System harness
Old 08-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

If you are a new hunter I would not recommend a climber. I would go with a ladder stand sooner than a climber for a new hunter.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, welcome to the club. Don't put to much pressure on yourself and have fun while you learn. In a climber, I recommend Lone Wolf or Summit. Don't skimp on a safety harness, go with Hunter Safety System. Since it's protecting your health and possibly your life, get the best you can get. Good luck this season.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

My choice is Summit Viper. Its an easy climbing stand and very sturdy.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

They aren't as well known as Summit but Cougar Claw climbers are a far superior stand.
I sell and have used both and I prefer Cougar Claw with leveling system.

If it makes a difference to you the Cougar Claw stands are 100% made in the USA in Foley, Alabama.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.