Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anyone use Distillers as attractant? >

Anyone use Distillers as attractant?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone use Distillers as attractant?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone use Distillers as attractant?

I've been experimenting with using distillers (biproduct from ethanol) as an attractant. It has such a strong smell the deer can smell it from a long way away and they seem to love the stuff!! Was just curious if anyone else has used it and if so how/what mixtures? Not to mention its only $5/50lb bag!!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where can you buy it??Sounds good.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use it, deer and hogs both eat the tar out of it. A buddy of mine buys it in big bulk bags and sells it to deer hunters.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

yes, i too, would like to know where he gets it. is that the stuff left over from making that "green gas/diesel" from used cooking oil and stuff? if so we have a plant that makes it in my town.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by noidurism
yes, i too, would like to know where he gets it. is that the stuff left over from making that "green gas/diesel" from used cooking oil and stuff? if so we have a plant that makes it in my town.
Distillers is the corn used to make ethanol. Dried distillers looks somewhat like kernals of corn chopped up in almost a powder looking form. If you do not have Ethanol plants near you it will be kinda tough to get your hands on it, unless you want to pay a ton for shipping costs? We have access to it all over here in Nebraska so I get it from a local feed mill for $5/bag. The smell is very distinct and deer love it!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't understand the ethanol idea. You pay 10% more for a product that gets 10% LESS fuel mileage. Big savings there. There are very few stations I know about within 30 miles of here that still have the pure gasoline.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last edited by timbercruiser; 08-26-2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: repeat
Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I don't understand the ethanol idea. You pay 10% more for a product that gets 10% LESS fuel mileage. Big savings there. There are very few stations I know about within 30 miles of here that still have the pure gasoline.
With all do respect, if my memory serves me right, at least here in Nebraska every gas station that offers ethanol its always cheaper than regular unleaded. Must be different in your area. Interesting