Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What time of the year do deer like corn best? >

What time of the year do deer like corn best?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What time of the year do deer like corn best?

Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default What time of the year do deer like corn best?

I have some of the original deer cane poured out in front of my trail camera that deer have started to dig it up, so that works well for me. The problem i have is that i put some corn on top of the deer cane and the deer have completely ignored it, and just go for the deer cane. Is it that they like the deer cane better or that they have other things to eat since it's summer or what? I haven't fed them very much corn in the past, and since i'm not an expert at feeding deer what do you guys think?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

deer will eat the corn anytime of year. why they aren't eating it now could be a number of things. one is what you just mentioned- other food sources - that's most likely the main reason other than this but i could be wrong. in my experiences using deer cain or any other attractants that you pour on the ground or tree stumps/ logs(don't pour it on rotting wood though)you are better off using that by itself and the corn in a dif. pile or spread out, just not on the deer cain or whatever you happen to be using. i've had that happen to me everytime i tried mixing the two or using apples,pears, and dif. nuts. all i can figure out is that they don't like that stuffed mixed and i had better success keeping everything separate.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Spike

Well if im correct...Deer need minerals about right now...and during the summer..soo that could be a reason..
Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

ive been having the exact opposite problem. the deer wont touch the cane but they are hitting up the feed like crazy. till later in the season when i can buy my corn for 4 dollars a bag, I use sweet feed for horses. ask about it, right now around here it is about a dollar and a quarter cheaper than corn and the deer will take that over corn any day in my experience. the only downfall is if you dont have a feeder, the feed wont hold up to rain very well. if it does rain on your feed, take a stick and mix it up so it dont mold.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Around here late summer is a pretty good time for corn. The dry summer weather and high heat has pretty much stopped new and tender green growth and they will eat corn very well. I would guess pretty anytime their primary food supply is down, such as late winter, etc, would be a good time for corn.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always been under the impression that deer will only eat corn when it's in that sweet phase during the growing season, or in winter when there's nothing else to eat.

basically corn is not preferred by deer...when there are better foods available, kinda a last resort, with maybe the exception of when its in that sweet phase.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default Corn or Acorns

In my area the deer will eat corn before and after prime acorn times. When the acorns are dropping that seems to be all they want to eat.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

If there are WHITE oak acorns dropping that's where they will be. I have had them walk thru red oak stands non-stop to get to corn tho. Keep putting it out and they will be there.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

now is the worst time...2-3-4 weeks before the acorns drop and during the coldest time in the winter are the prime corn times...between now and until it gets a little cold the deer will not touch the corn over acorns