Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 07-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should all states be able to bait?

The definition of bait is to use any kind of lure or enticement, so it is my thought that if you use bait piles, food plots, scent lures, mineral licks, etc then you are baiting. As far as I know some of these are legal in all states so baiting is technically legal in all states........
If you only mean bait piles, I have hunted in areas where it was legal and areas that it was not legal. If you are trying to harvest a mature buck I don' t think a bait pile is going to up your odds. I personally don' t have any problem with scattering corn or other food sources for hunting.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Should it be legal everywhere I will leave that alone.

The only time baiting will significantly improve your odds at a muture buck is in areas that competition and availablity for top food sources is limited (ie: forest). While baiting will always attrack game, it often will show not much benefits to hunting a field or other dominant food source avaialable in food source enriched land. Therefore I think baiting would be best suited to be legal in areas where food is not abundant, the rest it should be hunt what is already their. In most cases that is the best solution in any regard.

BTW, baiting is legal here throughout the province in all areas, I have done it in the past but don' t anymore as it proved to be a nonfactor in the areas I chose to hunt. I have found hard nose scouting, planning and picking appropriate locations based on wind, time of year and travel routes of game to be the best technique for success.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:00 PM

Well, here in MD, baiting is legal. I do throw corn and apples out every once in a while, but out of the five deer I shot at that stand....none was eating off the bait pile. I do believe that the buck I harvested was because of the pile because the does concetrated around that bait pile EARLY in the morning....like 3:30 to 4 am......almost 100% of the time I would spook them off ( I am limited in hunting area, so hard to really put that bait pile in an area where I cant spook them).....but when they came back, they had a buck trailing em or was just walking the trail...thats it. I thought it was strange. But the does stayed around early in the morning to feed, so I believe the buck hung around because of that reason. But I never harvested a deer that was actually feeding from the bait pile.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:35 AM

here in MN its NOT legal. If there is a pile of corn left by a combine lying infront of your stand its legal but you cannot make your own bait pile. If people want to use them I dont really give a rats rear but I wouldn' t want to.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Food baiting, no, scent luring, yes. If you plant food plots large enough to increase the carrying capacity of a herd(s), then it should be legal, since in virtue you would be only harvesting game that you produced, but merely throwing out feeders to bring game for easy feed to one area should not be. I leave half a header of milo occasionally, and usually don' t take a third cutting on alfalfa (which wouldn' t have yeilded much anyway) in certain patches that serve as regular winter food plots, but I don' t necessarily call it baiting, it' s more feeding/managing the deer herd than bringing deer in for an easy hunt. In fact, I seldom hunt those patches, since I usually have cattle or horses on the neighboring 80' s, but I do hunt areas nearby that I know to be paths to those plots.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:16 PM

Man oh Man - corn, alfalfa,milo, peas, yada,yada,yada - all you crop guys

Is it considered baiting if I kick a couple extra acorns under my tree on my way in
Old 07-08-2003, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Fla it' s legal and we used to bait before we got some great food plots going.I never shot a buck at the feeders but we' d set up on the trails to get them.Do I think it should be legal everywhere," No" .Here we need to get rid of ALOT of does,in some areas that' s not what the herd needs.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:31 PM

I also think they made baiting in MD legal because of the doe population. It' s very high.....Another reaon that helped support that is..In region C of Maryland (central Maryland), you can harvest unlimited doe...no matter what season: bow, muzzleloader or rifle.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:50 PM

Well i have fed alot of corn in my years and have never taken a deer eating from a feeder!

should it be legal in every state ? hummmmmm i don' t care it' s legal in arkansas !

I just wish it worked as good as some think it does!

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.