Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
UV given off by hunting Clothing & gear >

UV given off by hunting Clothing & gear

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

UV given off by hunting Clothing & gear

Old 08-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Spike

Default UV given off by hunting Clothing & gear

Deer can see UV light and a lot of hunting equipment & clothing give off UV light which can be readily seen by deer. You can get an inexpensive black V light bulb at HD, Lowes, etc, to check out your equipment. I was really surprised how bright white becomes, and how much UV some jeans & camo clothing give off, and even the fletching on arrows. Check it out!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

yes i do belive your right about uv its way worse than camo or anything..ive seen deer look at a hunter in blaze orange from 1000 or so yards..and he wasnt just day dreaming niether...ill wear my old dull wore hunting stuff thank you,,,,like my papy always said
get a dull gun son,,have you ever seen a laquered tree in the woods
Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My experiments on UV

Many detergents add brighteners to their product. I use to have one that didn't and was scent free. It was much less expensive than the "sporting goods" brand.
Well they got modern, added UV brighteners and I had to find a substitute.

Went with baking soda and borax. Made the clothes smell neutral and it cut the UV from the clothes, while testing it under a black light. And talk about economical. It far beat my cheapness standard.

I got so good at it, I use the new formula with my around the house and hiking clothes. But it would never sell commercially. Almost all Americans use far too much water and detergent. The secret is to put in the water first, minimum amounts and never large. Then you add the baking soda, borax and a couple of drops of scentless soap. (All available commercially). Then you add the clothes to the washing machine; just enough for the water.

Never thought of arrow vanes. I have four for practice ready.
Will test them out this week. Thanks. I need a little break from the home repairs.

And almost time to get the hunting clothes ready and bagged up.

Last edited by Valentine; 08-17-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

maybe the old timers had an advantage over us...

modern dyes/fabrics give off way more than wool and natural dyes ever did, I bought a light couple years back, still what are you gonna do? this camo clothing is still produced overseas, cheaply etc...

I think almost every hunter nowadays washes their clothing in that non UV non scent clothes wash...so we're all on the same level playing field in that regard.