Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Hunting over Bait
I agree with BigBuck95
18.52%
I think it's ok if it's legal in the state
72.84%
Its ok to have it out when it's not deer season
7.41%
No opinion
1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Hunting over Bait

Old 08-12-2010, 02:05 PM
bigcountry

I just have never understood the reasoning for baiting or food plots. I guess I just like to hunt deer, not just draw them in and ambush them.

Its legal here in MD, and you won't see me doing it. Its made a whole new breed of hunters in this state.

Part of me knows that no decent mature buck is going to touch bait during the day. So let folks have it shooting thier fawns and spikes. But I do believe its a major contributor of spreading disease having a pile of bait to where animals congregate. Totally different that a crop.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no problem with it..however;when the acorns come on..the game pretty much leave the corn pile alone anyways...Where I hunt it's illegal but I don't judge anyone else for doing it..If I could I would..Some of us don't see more than one buck a year in those tough pressured WMA we need all the help we can get LOL
Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I just have never understood the reasoning for baiting or food plots. I guess I just like to hunt deer, not just draw them in and ambush them.
amen brother
Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

These posts are good for nothing more than trying to force a personal view on others. If it is legal go for it. I never understood someone that talks down about feeders or corn piles and then goes climb in their shooting cottage sitting on a green food plot they have spent 100's of $$$$$ planting and fertilizing it. Like it wasn't placed there for the sole purpose of drawing deer to their shooting house. For the record I have never hunted deer over a pile of corn, feeder or food plot.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
These posts are good for nothing more than trying to force a personal view on others. If it is legal go for it. I never understood someone that talks down about feeders or corn piles and then goes climb in their shooting cottage sitting on a green food plot they have spent 100's of $$$$$ planting and fertilizing it. Like it wasn't placed there for the sole purpose of drawing deer to their shooting house. For the record I have never hunted deer over a pile of corn, feeder or food plot.
How does it force a personal view? One can choose to read it or not. Did you honestly not know what you were getting into when you saw this title? Did you really feel everyone was going to go with your view?

Do you really go into life expecting everyone to agree with you?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If someone wants to sit over a pile of corn..... let 'em, if it's legal there.

Just another tactic applied by "meat hunters" that subcribe to the kill 'em all, "if it's brown it's down" practice! A great way to remove young naive whitetails, so if these people are happy killing' young Does and fawns and yearlings bucks.... get it done and go home!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

How about it now?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry all you got to do is read the posts that poke at any who believes it is OK to hunt over bait " Just another tactic applied by "meat hunters" that subcribe to the kill 'em all, "if it's brown it's down" practice! A great way to remove young naive whitetails, so if these people are happy killing' young Does and fawns and yearlings bucks.... get it done and go home!"
and it proves my point about what posts like this are meant to accomplish. The question your post was about hunting over bait not, if you want to read this post or not. I never asked anyone to agree with me I just gave my own unprofessional personal opinion, isn't that what you asked for? I have been in this life for 60 years now so I know that there will always be some one who doesn't agree with me; I just hope they don't get confused and think I really care. This post has been posted every year for years. Let's move on.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

As long as it's legal i got no problem with people doing it. It's the hunter's choice so let him choose.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

As a person who has experienced baiting I simply say it's another tactic one can employ while hunting...if legal. The majority of my baiting stems from work as a guide but have used it personally as well. The premise of laying out slop and producing is far from reality when one is pursuing trophy/mature whitetails. As much scouting and prep goes into employing baits as any other form or tactic to chasing big whitetails. In fact when i baited I spent far more hours in the field in prep then I do today as a non-bait hunter. Not fool proof at all. Some may but I can't imagine spenting the resources (time and money) to use baiting in a "brown it's down mentality". JME and opinion. Once again i have experienced both side, but choose to hunt without baits...just suits my style better. I have no ill feelings for those who hunt or feel differently then me. Boils down to each his own...moving on now...LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.