Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do 2D decoys really work?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do 2D decoys really work?

I know there are plenty of brands that make them but it just seems like they'd never work since at the wrong angle they wouldn't see it and would confuse the deer...purely speculative but the price of them sure is tempting compared to the full body dekes...what's your experience/thoughts?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

i hunted with a cousin around new florance, mo 2 years ago and we used one of those 2d decoys. it got alot of attention from younger bucks, even had a small 6 snort wheeze at it a few times. i have thought about buying one but i hunt mostly public land and i don't want bullets flying my direction.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never used one, but from what I understand they work.......sometimes. They either will draw in a deer that sees it or the real deer will haul tail when they see it which is true of most deer attractants.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have a montana elk/moose decoy it works well to calm them but if they get the wrong look or have a long time to view and no movement it can be counter productive. I can say it has aided sucessful kills. I can also say it has hindered in a couple as well for sure. I will continue to use it but I make sure it is in position to maximize potential and not give my position away. Not a miracle product but it can buy opportunities if employed properly..not unlike other lure type products.