Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your hunting area

Old 08-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Private place, 15 minutes from front door. Lotta live oaks next to it. Place I actually hunt is where draws come down to it...plus. only water for several miles in any direction.
Dan
Old 08-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

i have several small, 35 acres or smaller, tracts of land that i can hunt on a regular basis. problem is some of them are in very highly pressured areas so deer are extremly skittish and very nocturnal. at one spot it has alot of deer but a 1/4 mile down the road is a state park so if they bust you out, you wont see em for a while and they will be safe
Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

Between my friends and myself we have about 650 acres tied together all different types of terrain and we have limited ourselves to 1-buck a year and try to shoot lots of doe's.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

My grandparents own 300 acres and we have access to 120 acres of the neighbors. Biggest problem for us is we have amish as neighbors and they will shoot anything that walks. They shot a fawn one year that had spots still in October.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

we have 2 different spots we hunt, one be hind my house we have the whole country block, with lots of deer, only problem is there is to much corn, and it they dont take it out early, we dont see much, and we have a honey hole about 35 mins away that is my buddies uncles, we are the only ones to bow hunt it and hit has been managed for over 20 year, lots of big, deer but 40% of the 120 acres if swamp, so the big deer stay in there till after dark, but we still see alot of deer somtimes up ward of 40 a night, mostly does and small buck, but last year we seen a 14 point booner at 12 yards but could get him to stop fml...chasin a doe and stop at like 75 yards in the wide open lol
Old 08-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Typical Buck

For the past six years I've been a member of a club with about 1000 acres. I decided not to join this year due to the distance and not being able to hunt there much. So, I"m limited to about 25 acres behind my house, which is private land and bow only. I can be in my stand in just five minutes, so I hunt it often. Last year I saw about 14 deer there. Shot a couple does for the freezer and missed a 7pt (missed judged the distance).

Can't wait until Sept 11th (opening day)
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big woods. We're on a mountain that is overgrown clear cut, hemlock thickets, swamp, laurel thickets, blueberry thickets and about 30% mature hardwood. Trees are beech, cherry, hemlock, maple, black birch and striped maple. We have two fields. They were just hay for years but we planted them in clover and turnips the last two years. There's also an orchard but it's too close to the road to hunt.

Between our land and the bordering state land, we have about 60,000 acres to hunt. There is very little access near our cabin so we only see folks that have permission to hunt our land.

Lots of deer and bucks get big. But the land is immense and the cover thick. It's really hard to hunt.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

There's also an orchard but it's too close to the road to hunt
do you mean legally its too close to hunt, your you just dont feel comfortable? just wondering because ive had great success in places others wouldnt even think about hunting
Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you mean legally its too close to hunt, your you just dont feel comfortable?
I think both. Plus, the cabins are in an association and the orchard is between the road and a common area. Someone hunted here a few years ago and it was frowned upon.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

We hunt on our own land and have four other hunters that I gave permission to hunt another tract of land we own. The land we hunt is all oak ridges with food plots as well as alfalfa fields. This year no corn. No does allowed to be taken is the rule for this year and no small bucks. We do have several nice shooters as well as a real dandy. I'm really looking foreward to the deer season. We all hunt archery as well as rifle. Good hunting to all!!!!