Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who Process's there own Deer

Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Who Process's there own Deer

I started Processing my Own deer about 5 Years ago and what a difference it made in the taste and quality of meat we were getting , My Wife was basically a vegatarian when we met now she helps me process . we have a basic $80 electric meat grinder and a basic vacume sealer . It really made the difference in using approx 1 deer a season now with liberal doe permits were i live we will usually have 3-4 does and usually 1 buck . we had a total of 5 dear last year and are almost out of meat . We do grind in about a 1/4th pork tenderloin and it taste awesome and my 6 and 7 year old ask for it and they love the breakfast sousage. If you havent tried to Process your own deer I think you may be missing out.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I very much agree. stated doing my own and never looked back
the quality of the cuts is better now and you are guaranteed that you are not missing meat to the butcher
Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Now wait a minute

I don't think they issue butcher permits to country club hunters. Why before you know it, they'll think they are chefs cooking hunter stews with dumplings, on a cold winter night.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Lol that's funny , don't get me wrong I love taking big buck's but were i am from Hunting Land is expensive even to lease you have to have deep pockets lucky for me I have a couple small areas that hold deer that I am able to hunt my largest spot is about 25 acres so no big tracts of land so getting big buck to come by is possible but you may starve if you are not going to shoot does. We have neighbors that will shoot little spike and button bucks so it is hard to get the bucks big .
Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done my own for over 15 years now. It is not all that difficult, and it guarantees better quality meat than a processor's band saw. The bone chips that get pulled through the meat by the saw taint the meat.

You mention grinding in your post. Many processors grind venison in batches, so you're getting some of yours mixed with who knows what, maybe a gutshot deer that was handled wrong.

Ground meat generally gets thoroughly cooked. I grind some for a chili or two, and cut most of the front shoulders into stew meat, but mainly roast whole cuts and steaks on the grill. Nothing wrong with grinding, but if you don't save some whole cuts currently, try it. Season with a dry rub, or simply salt and pepper and cook your roasts such as the loin, a top round or a sirloin tip to 120-125 degrees internal temperature, wrap in foil, and let rest for 15 minutes. Then slice and enjoy a nice piece of medium rare venison.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I started, with help from my neighbor, on the first deer I killed. I bought a meat grinder last year, and it works well. This year I will buy a jerky slicer.

I do a very basic butchering. I strip out the 2 back straps, cut in half, vacuum pack and freeze. I cut the hind quarters in steaks, getting between 3-5 steaks per hind quarter. The rest of the meat goes into the grinder for deerburger and sausage.

This year I plan to jerky the entire first deer I get:-)
Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

i was fortunate enough to have a dad that did all his own meat,,deer, pork,beef,and even yard buzzard(chicken) so i came up doing all our own meat,,from growing it to packageing it.life is good on a farm sometimes,,just not all the time,,,my dad was the best hunter ive ever seen,,i never seen him miss till he was old,and we stood there like dummys thinking how could this happen,,we got him a big scope and it never happened again,,,i would never pay for butchering i think all sportsman should know this plus capeing your trophy! back straps on the barby baby.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started processing deer in the late 70's. It has evolved a lot since then...but I still cold-pack (can) most of mine and wrap the steaks and loins in freezer paper, then shrink wrap them.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default wouldn't have it any other way

I don't care how big of a deer you shoot or how exciting the hunt was, the best part of taking any deer is cutting those inner loins out and throwing them on the grill the night of the kill. Woo hoo!

When I started deer hunting at 16, my folks paid to get my first deer processed. We were shocked how little meat we picked up from the butcher shop for the price they charged us. That's been 15 years ago, and we have done almost all of our own deer since that first buck. We spent about $60 on a gambrel, knives and a VHS showing how to get your deer from the field to the freezer. The first deer we processed paid for that! You can cut it how YOU want it and you know you'll be getting YOUR meat back. You can get a cheap grinder for about $20 and it will last years if you keep it clean. A dehydrator and a jerky shooter are cheap, and almost everyone likes deer jerky if you don't tell them what it is

The ONLY time I will pay for somebody else to mess with my deer is if it is just too warm for me to do it. I killed a nice buck a few years back on the second day of the season (Oct 2nd) and it was close to 80 degrees here in southern Illinois shortly after the sun came up. I packed ice in the thing's belly and rushed him to the processor.

If you have a place to do it, give it a try. It's a very fulfilling sensation to know that you did it all- killed it, cleaned it, and then cooked it. Thanks aarontriton. Now I'm hungry

rw
Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by hunt12ga

...the best part of taking any deer is cutting those inner loins out and throwing them on the grill the night of the kill. Woo hoo!
Yep, that 'bout sums it up for me, except I can make due with backstraps!

And YES!... I process my own deer all the way.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.