Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What's a good bullet to start with? 7mm-08 >

What's a good bullet to start with? 7mm-08

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's a good bullet to start with? 7mm-08

Old 08-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default What's a good bullet to start with? 7mm-08

I just bought a Remington 7mm-08, and I already know what kind if scope I'm gonna get ( vari x 3 ) but I just don't know where to start with bullets. Well today I picked up some hornady superformance 139grn sst's 29.99 per box. I can't hardly find bullets and what I did find was core lokts 27.99 per box, ferderal fusion 28.99 per box, and Remington accutips 36.99 per box. So I went with the hornadys for the extra fps.. If these are accurate and shoot well out of my gun will they be alright for deer?

Still trying to decide on what rings and bases I want, I like the warne, deadnuts game reaper only I don't care for the aluminum, and the talley's..

Oh and the primary game will be whitetail deer 50 - 200lbs, 0 - 300 or so yards...

Last edited by killadoe; 08-03-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

My brother has used the 140gr CoreLokts since he first got his in the 1980s...I've heard good news on those Hornadys as well...

I doubt the deer will be able to tell the difference...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Experiment with ammo and see what your rifle likes. If you asking about a specific bullet, I like the Fusions for expansion and weight retention.

Corelokts will work fine for WT deer. I have used those over the years also and never failed that a deer went down after being shot.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

At 7mm-08 velocities standard cup and core type bullets like Cor-lokts are all you need for deer. I'd start with Remington Cor-Lokts, Winchester Power Points, and Federal Fusions. I'd use which ever of those my rifle grouped the best. That is something you will have to determine for yourself as each rifle is sort of an entity unto itself as to what ammo it likes.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Todd1700 is on the money in my opinion. Any decent hunting grade bullet in the 130-140 gr. range should be fine for white tail deer as far out as you mentioned. The key of course is which factory load groups best. I have only one hunting buddy that uses a 7mm/08 Rem. He has an A-Bolt that loves Nitrex factory ammo loaded with the 140 gr. Grand Slam bullet. I don't think that this ammo is in production these days. When it was, he stocked up on something like 50 boxes.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use the 140 gr. Remmy Core-Lokt's in my 7mm-08 Model 700. They seem to me to be quite accurate in my rifle.

Re: scope mounts, I have used the Redfield one piece base and rings on all my rifles, assuming that the one piece base would be more solid than two pieces. Don't know whether my assumption is correct, or not, but, they've always performed well for me.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Todd1700 is being intuitive as that's what I was going to say, so if anyone is thanking him for that advice, it might as well be me you're thanking.

And Thank you for the thank you. LOL!

x2 on what Todd1700 said.

iSnipe