Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.223 is enough for whitetail

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coach,

One shot, one kill !

Right tool, for the right job.....................

That's the way we coach it.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by coach1299

One more thing; lets not distort the OP. I don't recall any discussion about bear hunting wiith a 223, but rather only deer
When I was taking law classes, my sister an attorney, told me to focus on the issue. There are times in our lives when profound instances happen... or like Oprah's saying an "A Ha" moment. That one line from my sister is something I've taken to heart in most of my business dealings. You'll find here at the forum and others, some people are not good at sticking with the issue and use all sorts of smoke and mirrors to prove their point, dilute the issue or justify their reasoning with mere rhetoric. Through all that all you have to do is know the issue and stick with it. Simple as pie. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 07-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Indeed it was. The quartering-to shoulder shot on the 300lb deer was suppose to be the give away

I wouldn't count on that. Those fast, frangible bullets will probably produce a lot more bloodshot meat. He'd be better off sticking with the 30-06 and using a heavier, slower bullet.
actually, it was the same day/weekend, and we had em hangin side by side, gettin em ready fer the cooler, and the damage was exactly why he said that. 30-06 was 5 times more devastating than the 223.

edit
mind you, these shots were takin at under 100yrds, and most cases less than 50.

edit again...
we have dog deer i guess you can say..if i were high tailin it to Saskatchewan, i would defiantly take my 300...just fer the record.

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 07-29-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
You can never be to sure whats meant as a joke in some hunting forums.I got into a debate in another forum regarding head shots with the .223 for culling deer.IMO head shots on deer are not an ethical choice.Far to great a chance the deer will move or the shot might be off a bit.I finally gave up in frustration.See it here-
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/8751055531
i have heard the..."i shot the jaw off" story too many times.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by coach1299
I believe you're incorrect about the US military's reason for going with the 5.56. I believe it was primarily because the ammo was lighter and allowed a soldier to carry more ammo in the field. I think it was a secondary strategy to incapacitate the enemy (still being ultimately lethal) causing their comrades to care for them rather than have them continue fighting as they would when more immediate kills were achieved with the bigger 30 cals. One more thing; lets not distort the OP. I don't recall any discussion about bear hunting wiith a 223, but rather only deer
well, the military will tell you, if you wound 1 person, it take 1 or 2 guys to carry him, in thus, taking down 2 or 3 guys with 1 shot.

edit..i do realize this is what you are saying now...duh

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 07-29-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Coach,

One shot, one kill !

Right tool, for the right job.....................

That's the way we coach it.

Just out of curiosity; who's we, where do you hunt, what do hunt with, and what kind of teaching do you do? I'm not sure what you're getting at with this "one shot one kill" stuff which sounds to me more like some hard core military jargon from the movies rather than realistic hunting discussion. BTW, I've taken some animals with one shot, but I don't realistically expect that to happen every time because of a multitude of variables that can happen. Of course that's the ideal scenario, but what really is your point? I've been saying all along that placement is the most important factor, and that I also prefer the more typical .30 cal deer cartridges, but to each their own. If someone wants to use a .223, more power to them because it might work for them. I usually use a 30.06, 12 gauge w/rifled slugs, occasionally buckshot, and even .357 (both handgun or lever carbine) depending on my mood and situation. I guess I'm just not as good as you because sometimes I actually have to shoot more than once to kill my animals. Sounds a little far fetched to me that someone "ALWAYS" takes em down with just one. I guess that there's no need for any kind of a repeating rifle or other firearm designed for additional shots in your case. In all seriousness I don't feel that I'm that good that I'd use a Thompson Center Arms rifle, and I've stayed away from muzzle loaders for that reason, but they are apparently sufficient for many, but after all is said and done, I still prefer to have the capability of taking additional shots if needed. JMO! Just a little past history of my activity: early Dec 09 dropped a 4 point buck on opening day with a 12 gauge rifled slug in thick heavy brush at 75 yards, didn't get up but required a couple of humane follow up shots. later in December 09, dropped a good sized Russian boar 22 yards with one shot with a .357 revolver didn't get up but also required some follow up shots to totally put out his lights. Previous year: 2 boar and one deer (just a doe) with four shots. The doe went down and stayed down on the first but was still moving on the ground until the second shot. Year before that: a whole bunch of shots with all kinds of guns to take 3 boar among 3 hunters. Point is there's a lot of variables, and it's not always the same. Lets hear about your one shot one kill record. I'm so curious.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

.223 is enough gun. I love deer and hog hunting with my ar-15. I typically take my .270 since i have hunted with it for over ten years, but i do like a little varity.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coach,

"but what really is your point?"

My point is your reply to the right tool for the right job/one shot one kill.

"......a wrench could be an easier way to bang in a small nail rather than make a trip to the work bench......"

I don't shoot at deer with my .17HMR because I happen to have it in my hands.

BTW - I said coach because of your "handle" - sorry !!!

I'm from NJ, so I wouldn't want to give Jerseyites a bad name.

Also, I have had to take follow-up shots and/or finish an animal just like anyone else, but not because I didn't have the right gun with the right load for the game I was persueing at the time.

And I would not want to "coach" anyone to do otherwise.

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-29-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

When people have to ask about what "One shot, one kill" means, I get a little scared... especially if they're a gun wielding hunter. I start to think maybe that person needs more learnin' to do or to get more edumucated... and maybe that person should develop fundamentals and philosophies that will make them a better hunter. I get all sorts of crazy ideas if I heard that. LOL! Anyway, to me, the idea or principle of the "One shot, one kill" is all about taking the one shot you have in front on you and doing the best you can with it. That goes for your form, mental conditioning and using the right weapon for the job. It's a mentality... a state of mind.

iSnipe
Old 07-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sometime around 1968 we were deer dog hunting in south Alabama one morning. The dogs had been running around in a bottom for an hour or so and didn't seem to be coming out. We stopped for lunch beside a dirt road. One of the guys was drinking a RC Cola and a young doe, maybe 50 pounds jumped off the low bank close to right at him. He threw the near empty bottle at the doe, hit her up side the head, and killed her dead as a hammer. I guess RC Cola bottles will do the job also.......True story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.