Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Close Encounters!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Close Encounters!

Sometimes getting close to game can be the hardest thing.Other times,when you least expect it,they end up right in front of you.
Describe a close encounter you've had w/deer or other game animal.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

well i looked out my window and saw 2 big bucks
Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I was at a friends place years ago before I got permission to hunt it. we were driving around on a off road cart and saw some nice tracks. so we get out to track them to see where they go. Will my luck i find him. the track go up a hill to the back of a ridge or you could call it a ditch cut in the back of a big hill. will the track go up to the top,there is a ledge about 3/4ft that the deer jumped up so I climb up on hands and nee to fine myself nose to nose with a huge 10 pt I have never seen a buck that close before (15ft or less )let alone how fast he got to he's feet. that was the first time that I can say a deer scared the hell out of me. I was for sure he was going to charge me but he snorted at me and bounce off down the hill.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Spike

Years ago when I lived in Nebraska I was doing some preseason scouting with a friend. We went out to an area in between the center pivots that grown up in trees and tall grass and jumped two nice whitetails. One was at least a 12 point and was one of those deer that was 250 lbs. So in a month or two that was going to be my hot spot to wait for the deer to come back to bed in the morning.

Once the bow season came around I saw the same deer about 75 yards but he knew something was wrong and wouldn't come back in the area or come by the tree. So a couple weeks went by and I tried a stalk in area. Made a couple passes in and out with no luck, but something gave me a feeling I needed to walk back thru the area. Got about five foot from where I had been 5 minutes previously and got to this tall tuft of grass and this 250 lb. deer jump up five foot in front me and scared the crap out me. I couldn't believe I walked that close to a buck that big and and never spotted it twice within five foot! There was no way to get a shot off after that. Never did see that deer again, I guess he headed out into the sand hills.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by StabyhounDogs
Years ago when I lived in Nebraska I was doing some preseason scouting with a friend. We went out to an area in between the center pivots that grown up in trees and tall grass and jumped two nice whitetails. One was at least a 12 point and was one of those deer that was 250 lbs. So in a month or two that was going to be my hot spot to wait for the deer to come back to bed in the morning.

Once the bow season came around I saw the same deer about 75 yards but he knew something was wrong and wouldn't come back in the area or come by the tree. So a couple weeks went by and I tried a stalk in area. Made a couple passes in and out with no luck, but something gave me a feeling I needed to walk back thru the area. Got about five foot from where I had been 5 minutes previously and got to this tall tuft of grass and this 250 lb. deer jump up five foot in front me and scared the crap out me. I couldn't believe I walked that close to a buck that big and and never spotted it twice within five foot! There was no way to get a shot off after that. Never did see that deer again, I guess he headed out into the sand hills.
not doubting you, but how can you say it was 250lbs.?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

ive had a couple good ones. the first was on my first time going on a drive. we all had those motorola radios and I was a spotter. hadn't been hunting long either. So I hear someone get on the radio about 7 or 8 deer comin toward the ditch. now the ditch is about30 or 40 foot down and its two very i mean very steep hills. so these deer fore i know it come flyin down the one side and back up the other and was gone fore they got there. so i radio the others and tell em which way they was headed. just as I went to get up from behind this stump I see two young deer. they looked at me and i looked at them and we both about come off our legs. i come to my senses and sat there fumbling to get the safety off. I never did they just took off and to this day dont know whos heart was pounding harder, mine or theirs.
the other one is when I got my first shotgun and went out with a drive. once again I was spotting and as the walkers come up close enough I could here them good, I lowered my barrell to the ground and started to make my way back to where we was to meet. just then a huge doe run right by me in the middle of a leap. I guess, well i am ashamed to say it, but i know I had my finger on that trigger. I was just a kid so be easy on me now, not that i am that old, but anyway. I squeezed that trigger and it scared the hell out of me and I droppped that gun right into the mud. it went in barrel first. so i am settin there tryin to clean my gun up before anyone gets down there to see and when I finally do I start makin my way up to the group. My stepdad asked if I was the one who shot. I said yeah I seen a huge doe but I think I missed her. they must've known I was lying when they asked me if I checked for blood and I had to stop and think for about a minute as to what my answer was gonna be. one of my most embarresing hunts to this day.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Spike

Deer: I had my bow and saw 3 buck's in the middle of a 60 acre hay field,the grass was growed up so I decided to try it.. I belly crawled afew hundred yard's. Stopped raised up and their were 3 buck's 4 point 7 point and a nice 9 point probably 135 or so but they were looking at me they put their head's down and started eating again so I draw noodle on my sight's break's the buck's look up and their I am already letting off my draw they spook I get mad pretty much it all..My dad killed the 9 point that night!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Spike

Recently while filling up the feeder i had two hogs walk up behind me. I didnt know they where there till one of em bumped me on my calf as if it to say "Hurry up where hungry" I was in jeans and a button up plaid collor shirt was smoking a ciggratte the truck was running and about 10 feet from me. My pistol and my rifle where snug in their cases in the truck cab.

Both where young hogs they freaked my out a little so i gave a quick kick and loud yell at them. They ran off grunting at me the whole way. Now if they will just try that while i am holding a firearm.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

A long time ago I was on a ground stand on a long but narrow ridge, leaning against a tree to my right with drivers coming toward me. Only bucks were legal. I was looking one way toward the drivers, but soon heard the sound of running deer to my right. I barely had time to move when 7 or 8 deer came flying by both sides of that tree. I was looking for antlers as they hit the brakes as they caught my wind. Then they just started nervously milling around me and that tree, often less that 10 feet from me. I could hear them breathing, and making grunts and other sounds. Seemed like a long time, but probably after about 30 seconds of this one big doe let out a snort and they all bounded off. Good thing they were all does, because they had me so pinned down I could not have picked up the gun anyway.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I was bow hunting in my home state of NH. I decided to not use my self climber and setup on a ridge about an hour before sunset. Within a few minutes, I could hear deer slowly walking and feeding in the thick stuff about 30 yds below me. Suddenly they appeared, 3 does and a young buck and they were moving in my direction. Once they gave me the opportunity, I drew back my bow and waited for the buck to step out within 15 yds of me. Suddenly behind some small pines, directly in front of me I picked up movement. A very large, mature doe, that I had not seen, appeared almost out of nowhere. She stepped around the small pines and there we were, eye to eye, just a few feet away.

I'm not sure why, but she looked right through me and never decided I was a threat. She slowly turned and stepped back down to meet the others. By this time, I backed down my arrow and watched them all slowly walk out of sight, back in the exact same direction they came from.

I could see that doe's eyelashes, she was so close. Honestly, no more than 3 feet away. I thought I would be busted for sure, but, like I mentioned, she looked at me, saw my rugged good looks in full camo, and turned without any thoughts of bolting.
Sometimes, ya just never know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.