Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question...

Old 07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default question...

i am going to be hunting my aunts property this year, on problem, there is another hunter who supposedly bow hunts. my aunt gave me his contact info so he knows when im hunting. i want to ask him like if he has had any trespassing problems, my aunt is very elderly so she wouldnt know. are there any other questions i should ask him?

thanks
Storm
Old 07-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

How big is the tract of land? If it is very big, I would consider splitting the hunting areas/stands with him or have some kind of alternating days if it is a smaller tract. Unless he is an old family friend I would try to lease all the hunting rights to the tract from your aunt.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Its your aunts Property. How long has the other hunter use the land, years of no abuse its hard to say he has done your aunt wrong. I have got permission to hunt property of my friends and found that other are also using the land. I have made my friends aware of this and they said they would talk with the other hunter on hunting with friends.
Fine out what she let the other hunter do. If she cant remember (because of her age) ask her what SHE would like of you to do with the property.This might a time to sit back and see what the other guys does for a year.

Not sure of your age and size of land.( I say age because its harder for a young hunter to police land ) . Maybe let the other hunter know you will be out there this year but not when and where,but you let him know if you plan to gun hunt.Have him meet with you and your aunt (an/or parents) so everyone is on the same page. A face to face can go a say a lot.

Here in Va you have to have a sign paper to hunt posted land.
I hunt land that any day can be taken away be a family member, I treat the land owner with respect and stop by and spend some time talking with them has much has I think I would want to be bother with if it was my land.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would ask him where he hunts so You don't interfere with his hunting in case your out there scouting or hanging camera's,always be courteous and maybe he will share any info he has about what Deer are on your Aunts property.Try to work together and not against each other and who knows he may be of some help to You?Are You going to be Bow Hunting and Rifle Hunting there...if so you'll be in the same area at the same time so it may pay off to work together!

How many Acre's will You have to Hunt on?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 07-25-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys. i am 15 but will be hunting with my older cousins. as for the guy he farms the land and gets my aunt a good chunk of money for doing nothing but the land is only 62 acres with like 45 acres of field. i have only found one of his stands, a box blind that over looks a small finger of the field but i have found stands that i think are my uncles from like the 70's.

oh and bush she said she only wants one hunter on the property at a time because my uncle was shot at when he was hunting years ago and she is very nervous about that stuff
Old 07-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would still talk with the other Hunter and see when You can go out there and Hunt....if Your both Bow Hunting I don't see the concern for anyone getting shot at if You know where each others stands are located and a Bow is only good within a short range,if your Rifle Hunting I can see where it could be more serious since a Rifle bullet will carry a long ways!

On a side note...be careful climbing into in older hunting stand especially if its made of wood,if you put up any stands I reccomend a good metal ladder stand or if you use a ground blind hang some orange ribbon around the blind so it is noticable from a distance!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

id tell him to f*** off
Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Spend a little time with him...................you'll know soon enough what kind of guy he is !
Old 07-26-2010, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Storm, Sound like a great set up already. Seein how the Hunter/farmer has been there for a good time now try talking with him like most other post mention. hopefully he will not have problem with it seein how he is paying for the land. When you do talk with him be more open ears then talk let him set the pace on what the land has for deer.

Has for the old stands dont trust them at all,but you can but a little trust into there location.I have found some great stand spot from older wood stand ever a little piece of wood still nailed to a tree needs to be looked at.

Good luck keep us posted on how it goes.

Bushanic.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

thanks guys. as for the old stands im not using them but might set up my blind near them. but on another note i want to make sure he dosent let anybody else hunt or anything so if my blind comes up missing i know who to go after.

oh and about the farming he makes a majority of the money but its 50 acres of whatever he plants but its good because my aunt typically makes 2500 to 3000 to do nothing ya know?

oh and GTO shouldnt it be the other way around as i can go out there and see when he can? seeing as its my family property?