Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

drought and hunting????

Old 07-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

Question drought and hunting????

Well I posted a similar post in the regional forum but I wanted to get a broader view on the question so I'll ask it here as well, Virginia is officially in a drought watch. (has been for a few weeks now) There has been quite a few newpaper articles about the stunted crops, little to no yeild for corn and soybeans beacause of it. Low flowing creeks, streams and decreasing reserviors. This all equals what looks like a less than better hunting season. I looked at the farmers almanac yesterday and the outlook for later in the summer and the early fall predict good rainfall but I think it'll be a little too late to help. Whats everyones thinking on this? I remember quite a few years ago we had the same conditions and hunting suc&ed!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greetings,neighbor!
A few years back,we had heat that wouldn't quit.It was 79 degrees in Jan.My season didn't go well at all.Do you have access to local farms and /or do you travel? Hunting in October is key.I personally don't have local access.Last year,I purchased a bow,so no longer have to wait for general (state) firearms to open in Nov.Even with the heat,hunting early should increase our odds.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

my thought would be to hunt over any water sources that are left. deer have to have water to survive right?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

this can actually work well to your advantage...your going to want to hunt near creeks and watersources right now would be a perfect time to make a gravity feeder and put it out now...it should be ok as long as you take it up 30 days before season starts...hunting food plots will also be a good idea...take some pipe about 12 inches accross and about 3 feet high spray paint it black and green with non reflective paint..cut 2 triangle shaped or oval holes about 6 inches up on 2 sides...get a tiny trashcan and paint it...it needs to fit over the top of the pipe...now take a metal fence post and put it in the ground...put the feeder right next to it and tie a bungee cord around the trashcan top and around the fence post....fill with corn
Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Quite a few years ago we had a simialer situation here in WI and the midwest. What we did because even the water holes and creeks were either dried up or next to it was make our own water holes. In the hill country we found depressions and pulled a tank full of water up to it and emptied the tank into it. Yes it was work and we were fortunate to have the equipment, but I'm telling you we had deer from miles around coming to them. Simply made the best out of a bad situation. Give a try, they don't have to be big either. Good luck
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

IMO it makes hunting easier.All the deer a going to be coming to you water holes that have water left and thats where you need to setup.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

If you're lucky enough to be in archery season when the mast crop(acorns) start to drop, then you can get the drop on the deer.(pun intended. LOL!)

Many of your oaks will have stunted or limited acorns to have fall when it's time. If you scout out trees that for whatever reason, have a good supply of acorns, devise a plan to hunt the deer that will be at that tree.

Simple as pie.

iSnipe
Old 07-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lot can change from now until October. If we get a few weather systems in the next two months, it could get wet in a hurry.