Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Golden Years

Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Golden Years

Perhaps in your hunts you've seen older hunters who have old worn guns or clothing such red/black plaid.Their tools are from another generation that you may not care for or identlfy with.In your thoughts,do you get a negative opinion of them? Will someone see you in a similar light one day?
How do you hope your hunting future turns out?
I think these hunters deserve respect and have much to possibly teach by knowledge or example.In their senior age,they still pursue the hunt.Your thoughts on this or your hunting future.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope my health holds up so that I can hunt well into old age.Being a hunter is more than something I do.I like to think it's who I am.One day I hope to own some private hunting land.When the day comes I can no longer enjoy this tradition,I want to be able to look at the mounts on the wall and remember those hunts and the friends who shared some of those experiences.Until then,I will make the most of opprotunity.Time goes by quickly and I want those memories for tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The so called "Old Timers" knew more about woodsmanship than we ever will. My old grandpa was as good as they got in regards to being a skilled hunter. I should ever be half as good as the good ones of yesteryear.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
The so called "Old Timers" knew more about woodsmanship than we ever will. My old grandpa was as good as they got in regards to being a skilled hunter. I should ever be half as good as the good ones of yesteryear.
You got that right!!! many of the younger hunters today (I said many, NOT all) couldn't track a deer if they had a 4" blood trail. or don't have a clue when it comes to the ways of the woods, take away their gps, and their baiting and they will starve to death, They flat out do not know how to Hunt, and their shooting skills are marginal!!! if you want to learn how to hunt, get ahold of an "Old Timer" and take notes!!!! Doc

ps do ya think maybe I'm an Old Timer ????
Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=Game Stalker;3649531]Perhaps in your hunts you've seen older hunters who have old worn guns or clothing such red/black plaid.Their tools are from another generation that you may not care for or identlfy with.In your thoughts,do you get a negative opinion of them? quote]

Generally speaking, these people walk circles around me as deer hunters, especially when it comes to finding and spotting game. I hold them in great esteem--and a little jealousy.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hope to be considered one of those at the end of my years...

a man who hunted what he wanted, how he wanted,

to each their own, but nowadays so much seems commercial, clowns shooting bambi and jumping around like they shot a world record. Personally I'd shoot a world record and wouldn't be jumping around, perhaps that's just the type of guy I am, or maybe some other reason I'm not sure why. Personally I'd like to quietly enjoy the moment, not be screaming...

to me this golden generation probably didn't have the press we have nowadays, nor the cameras/videos,

when it's all said and done I think it'll be me in my home with my trophies, not press, or magazine articles, reliving the hunts through stories to people who stop by and ask about a hunt etc...

I think most pro's and old-timers, like many greats don't plan their career, they go out and do it/live it, and where the cards fall at the end of it, is what they have, and hopefully it's a great story.

none the less, being out in the woods with a weapon pursuing game, is what it's all about to me, I feel like an old timer at that moment, it could be the 1900's for all I know, when no one's around but the wilds, and it's not exactly safe feeling...but it feels good to be out there living!

Last edited by salukipv1; 07-19-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

elders have wisdom....most know something about something...whether it's hunting or something else...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

My hunting expierence would be enhanced a hundred fold if I had such a hunting mentor I'm sure. Many of my favorite Hunters all point to their Grandfathers,Fathers,Uncles even wemon who have helped them to become better hunters. To scrug off such a heritage is the essence of foolish pride and bone headedness that marks some in the field. Life is a school and the woods are my favorite classroom.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Spike

My grandfather was probably one of the best hunters I've ever seen. I could tell you story's but you wouldn't believe them. He only hunted in blue jeans, a flannel shirt, and a hat. Not only a quick shooter, but a great shooter. No grunt calls, no rattling antlers, no cover scents. Just hunting. I was told to be quiet and sit still hundreds of time. Said thats all I had to do. I wish I was older back then so I was mature enough to learn what he was showing me. Those "Old Timers" are the real hunters in my book.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a large family w/many uncles who grew up hunting.Their time was before the latest and greatest in camo or scents and lures.They wore dark blue pants or coveralls.
Some wore red and black plaid coats.They never went hungry or suffered lack of game.They paid attention to things and they were successful.That's the best one can ask for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.