Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 anybody know of a good deer tick repellant ?? >

anybody know of a good deer tick repellant ??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anybody know of a good deer tick repellant ??

Old 07-08-2003, 10:51 AM

Default RE: anybody know of a good deer tick repellant ??

Old 07-08-2003, 12:26 PM

Another note on permethrin, if you want some pretty strong stuff 44% you can get it in some pet treatments like Advantix. I had one vet tell me that they knew other vets who would use it on their boots and stuff. But permethrin might not be as harmless as previously mentioned on this thread. It is a pesticide, here is some information I read
The insecticide permethrin (in the synthetic pyrethroid family) is widely used on cotton, wheat, corn, alfalfa, and other crops. In addition, over 100 million applications are made annually in and around U.S. homes.
Permethrin, like all synthetic pyrethroids, is a neurotoxin. Symptoms include tremors, incoordination, elevated body temperature, increased aggressive behavior, and disruption of learning. Laboratory tests suggest that permethrin is more acutely toxic to children than to adults.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has classified permethrin as a carcinogen because it causes lung tumors in female mice and liver tumors in mice of both sexes. Permethrin inhibits the activity of the immune system in laboratory tests, and also binds to the receptors for a male sex hormone. It causes chromosome aberrations in human and hamster cells.

This information seems a bit alarmist, so here is a website that seems a little more grounded and reasonable about exposure

http://ace.orst.edu/info/npic/factsheets/permethrin.pdf

I know it works good on our dogs, and we put it right on the skin, but they don' t live as long as us, and don' t have as large of a cancer problem. I guess just use a little sense using it is my advice.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Rack-attack!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cabelas has a product called " No stinkin' ticks" made with permethrin and it sells for $10.99 for a 3 ounce bottle. That is expensive. go to Walmart or any sporting goods store and you can get " Permanone" a lot cheaper.

It does work great on ticks and skeeters. Come to sunny Florida and see our bugs!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Permethrin is no more dangerous than DEET. In can be said to be safer because it is applied to your clothing instead of your skin. It definately works better for me!
Old 07-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

ok , i see , permanone contains permethrin , and it' s sold at walmart , thanks guys

P.S. , i was useing a repellant with deet in it , and it didn' t help , on the 4th of july , i went fishing again and i found 4 ticks on me while fishing , no bulleyes though luckily , and the mosquitoes ate me alive , while wearing clothes treated with ( off with deet )
Old 07-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Jersey and use Permethrin....i picked it up in Sports Authority....they had it in the Camping sectiopn and there hunting section.....the stuff works great.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:54 PM

Permethrin is used in many insecticides. I purchased a 32 oz. bottle of termite killer, with 1.5% Permethrin. This is when I noticed ticks dying when on me after spraying the stuff around my house foundation. Evidently overspray got on my pants and T-shirt. Until I read this thread, I didn' t know what was killing them. The Permanone is only 0.5%. The termite spray when mixed is quite weaker (4oz./1 gal water) but it still did the job.
Russ
Old 07-10-2003, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Russ otten, I am a former pest control and wood destroying organism inspector in the state of florida. Trust me when I tell you that the termiticide you are using is NOT weaker if you mixed it according to directions, it is 3 times stronger and health problems can surface after repeated applications. There are other chemicals in termiticides that you are unaware of that can cause other health problems if misused.

Be careful.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:10 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

On the removal of a tick. I wish I could remember where I saw this and will look some more for it. The article recomended that you take somthing like floss and make a loop around the head of the tick. You then pulled it tight and took it off that way.
Anyone seen or did this?
Rick

Quick Reply: anybody know of a good deer tick repellant ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.