Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting After The Rut

Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Spike

Default Hunting After The Rut

Hello all, I'm new here so please cut me a little slack if I'm asking an old question. I'm considering a hunt in the north eastern part of North Carolina in late December. How much less are my chances of success compared to during the rut. Any information or advice on that area would greatly be appreciated it.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

depends on the deer heard. best way to find out is do some scouting, read a topo map, and some game cameras.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

After the rut deer start to go back to normal feeding habits. Try to find out where their main trails and feeding areas are and find out what time which ones are being used. After the rut the big boys are harder to hunt but knowing some of this stuff can help,so do some scouting and set up some trail cameras.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by H.L.H
After the rut deer start to go back to normal feeding habits. Try to find out where their main trails and feeding areas are and find out what time which ones are being used. After the rut the big boys are harder to hunt but knowing some of this stuff can help,so do some scouting and set up some trail cameras.
i agree... find the food
Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Spike

some good hard work..cameras..scout..food..and u will find out where the big daddy is hiding at...I live in Georgia..Soo the deer population is'nt very big... When the rut is on..I hunt allday whenever i go into the woods..chances of seeing a nice one doubles...
Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deerslayer706
some good hard work..cameras..scout..food..and u will find out where the big daddy is hiding at...I live in Georgia..Soo the deer population is'nt very big... When the rut is on..I hunt allday whenever i go into the woods..chances of seeing a nice one doubles...

I live in Georgia and I think the deer population is quite strong and large. I will say once deer season begins they become much more sly. I also live in Cobb co. Acworth/kennesaw to be exact. It's only private land and archery except for a army corps of engineers lotto hunt. I get to hunt both. Barrow isn't all that bad if your on private land. Fulton is also excellent archery only. Lots of record size deer have come from my tri-county area.(Cobb, paulding, Fulton)

Just stick to food, heavily traveled trails, water, and bedding areas. With Quality effort and dedication, you should be able to get that buck(assuming he will survive the heavy hunting of November.