Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New member saying hi

Old 07-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Spike

Default New member saying hi

Hello from New Zealand, My name is Peter, Im a keen hunter, have been for years but only recently got really keen on the Deer. I have enjoyed reading all your articles and we are not too different in the way we hunt to you but here the Deer are regarded as pests so there is no hunting season as such, we can shoot what we like when we like, of course as hunters we are also conservationists in the sense that we don't shoot our sport out of existance and most hunters try to only take the Bucks or Stags as we call them. We have a few varieties of Deer including the most common Red, Sika, Wapiti, Rusa, Sambar, white tail, Chamois, and the Himalayan Thar, also the South Pacific Goat and a couple of types of Pig. They can all be shot any time of year and you find the different types of game in different parts of the country. I got a nice Red Stag here about a year ago with my 8x57 mauser and have just recently upgraded to a Tikka T3 7mm08 so im planning another hunt soon. Its the midle of winter here so the snow is low in the mountains so i wont be going too high. We have a huge amount of mountainous public land to shoot in as well as private land so we are very fortunate, and we don't have any snakes or anything that will attack and eat us so thats one worry we dont have while hunting. Well thanks for letting me contribute and happy hunting.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard. We'll look forward to a totally different perspective on deer hunting. It sounds like you've got a situation that we'd all love to have.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the board. I knew there was an assortment of different deer introduced to New Zealand, but I didn't know that whitetails were over there. What kind of non-resident requirements are there if somebody got a chance to fly over there?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the forums. Good luck with your hunts.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Spike

Im not sure of the red tape involved with bringing firearms into the country but to hunt all you need to do is visit a local Dept of Conservation office who will provide you with a hunting permit free of charge and for a few bucks they will sell you all the maps you need to find the DOC huts in which ever area you choose to hunt in, a basic hut costs five dolls per night and there are hundreds of them scattered all over the country in the national parks. You have to take pot luck on how many other hunters might be in a hut but usually not a problem in fact ive met some good guys in some of the huts. I prefer to plan my hunts outside of normal holiday times. The only time when there will be a lot of hunters out is during the roar when the Stags are rounding up the Hinds. you can go on guided hunts if you want to spend the bucks of course. As far as the White tails go im not sure where to find them here but according to the web they are here somewhere.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Welcome KB to the site! I watched some great hunting from NZ on the Outdoor Channel last week and saw all the game you spoke of. The Stags were very impressive animals,I think they are in the Elk family,very beautiful. Being a big fan of the LOTR series and books I still marvel at the rugged beauty of your country,I hope to travel there one day because I would consider it a dream trip. Take care and good hunting.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome aboard! Its great to have a new perspective aboard.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear New Zealand is a wonderful place to live and visit. A little too far for me to go. As for Whitetails in N.Z., are you sure they are the same species we have here? I've never heard of Whitetails outside the U.S., Mexico and Canada. Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Spike

Re white talis i couldn't tell you if they are the same or not because i havn't seen one here either im only relying on info off the net , one type of deer i didn't mention are fallow deer that we have also.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:18 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the group! A lot of interesting people her and a lot of good info.
Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.