Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Have you ever regretted killing a deer? >

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have regretted one deer. I was 20 and it was a long season in a really pressured area of northern wi. I saw a deer about 200 yds away and shot. It turned out to be a buck fawn who almost made it through the season. I felt bad. I swore from then on never to shoot at deer that might be yearlings. I'm 30 now and still holding true!!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Spike

Its the same every where I hunt and Live in New Zealand and there have been occasions when i could have done better or made more of an effort before pulling the trigger, i decided years ago not to take those 50/50 shots and just put a little more time into the job, its called respecting your prey. But at the end of the day as long as you learn by your mistakes and try not to repeat them you will have a much more pleasurable hunt. happy hunting, peter.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
deerandbearhog, you are right. I should have said "regret for A kill" not "how should one feel after they kill".

I think you got my point but thanks for pointing it out to me......

please feel free to correct any of my terminology though.
Sorry I wasnt trying to nitpick, I just didnt see your point. The question was have you ever regretted a kill? Some people have stated they do, some have stated they do not, and have stated why they do or dont. I think the the thread has pretty much stayed on topic but you said you feel it has gotten way of topic, maybe I missed somthing.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
thats how you feel about it? you run the same risk getting in your car as a buck does showing himself opening morning of season?
you get in your car and everyone wants to kill you?, ok guess I'm out of this one.
RR
The intent, or the frequency, of the danger, is irrelevant, drunk drivers, texting drivers, people blowing stop signs, head on collisions , etc. the point is, the world is a dangerous place, whether you walk on 2 legs, or 4.
I must say though, I find putting yourself in the deers position, a bit peculiar. so what if were the predator, and theyre the prey? they die, we live, thats the point isnt it? if you feel so bad for them, stop killing them. seems simple enough to me.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
thats how you feel about it? you run the same risk getting in your car as a buck does showing himself opening morning of season?
you get in your car and everyone wants to kill you?, ok guess I'm out of this one.
RR
RR, have you drove in NYC? I can see his point. Everytime I go there I feel I am going to die. Or is that dying inside. Either way, he has a point due to his residence. No offense DeerHog

Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
RR, have you drove in NYC? I can see his point. Everytime I go there I feel I am going to die. Or is that dying inside. Either way, he has a point due to his residence. No offense DeerHog
well i havent been a NYC resident for many years but your point is spot on

On a similar note, every time I drive through NJ I feel Im gonna kill, I mean do these people ever take their foot off the brake?????
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
well i havent been a NYC resident for many years but your point is spot on

On a similar note, every time I drive through NJ I feel Im gonna kill, I mean do these people ever take their foot off the brake?????
I rode a motorcycle from B-more to Conn, thru that area, and I swore I wasn't going to come back alive.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I rode a motorcycle from B-more to Conn, thru that area, and I swore I wasn't going to come back alive.
Thats why I drive a silverado w/ a cow catcher across the grill...you gotta hit my azz
Old 07-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

I once shot a buck and I admit it I cried. Not really allot but just enough to see it roll down my cheek. Kind of like that indian in that commercial. As I leaned down and gently held his antlers in my hands I thought "at my hands this animal is dead" I proceeded to reach into my back pack and slowly pulled out my tape measure and yelled HEHAW I THINK ITS GONNA MAKE THE BOOK FELLAS! and it did too! 146 7/8
Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

killed a doe with two fawns,felt bad about that i remember gutting her with the fawns about 60 yrds away finally chased them off before i dragged her out....all deer that i have killed get the same respect as the turkeys,fish,birds,and squirrels that i kill....clean em and eat em,no remorse, they are no more than food on the table for me and enjoying the hobby of hunting....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.