Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The real essentials

Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question The real essentials

What is absolutely essential for Deer hunting with a Bow or Firearm before,during and after the Rut? Being a new hunter and wanting to be successful during my hunts,It is real easy to be overwhelmed by all the STUFF that is put before you by the experts in magazines,TV shows and well meaning hunters who can afford the newest thing that guarantee's success. I have enough stuff to hump to my spot and a limited budget for hunting.I use a climbing tree stand for when I have to get up high,so the less stuff I need the better. I realize that there are different situations that will require different amounts and types of gear,cold weather,deep woods hunting etc. but for your typical morning evening hunt this is what I have in mind. I'm not expecting to get a Monster Buck though like most everyone else I would be glad to get one if he happens along. My goal is meat first a doe is fine, then a respectable Buck would be a bonus. Thanks- I have not seen anyone comment on the need for attractants like Doe urine or Buck sent products.Does this mean that most of you don't use these products and keep them in you essential catagory of things needed in the field?

Last edited by doetrain; 07-08-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Expanding the question asked.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Sharp hunting knife, bottle of water, cell phone, decent pair of binos, good flashlight or headlight, a few extra pieces of snivel gear for when you get cold. That should do it.

Of course, you will need your bow, 3 arrows, release, gear retrieval cord, tree stand, and safety harness.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

If youre hunting the early season the water will be important, also I dont go out without my bugtamer on, had one as long as Ive been hunting and keep it behind the seat of the truck for unexpected predator calling. IMO its a necessity as it covers anything you put it over, gray shirt green shirt etc. and it keeps the bugs off you.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The most important thing you need is patience. The longer you can sit the better.

Must haves for me. (deer hunting)
- My API climber/HSS
- Grunt tube/bleat can
- boot blankets for under 40 deg
- Camera
- Bow hanger
- bow/gun pull up rope

Nice to have
-Binos
-Rangefinder
-GPS
Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Other than my bow, arrows and release, I carry with me:

a backpack that holds:
cell phone
grunt call
bleat can
rattling antlers
rangefinder
binoculars
bowhanger
knife
folding saw
wind direction indicator
string (to pull bow up)
water bottle
allen wrench set
flash light

my climber, if i'm not hunting one of my lock-ons.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

No one carries a compas?
I do.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Didnt think to mention mine as its in my pocket everyday hunting or not. Good call jrbsr.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr
No one carries a compas?
I do.
Most of my hunting, especially with a bow, is done in small suburban thickets, so no compass needed. If im hunting deep in big woods, I bring my GPS.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a firm believer in scent free everything. On a tight budget, I'd at least make sure you get some scent spray and scent wafers.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

knife, water, snack, dishwashing gloves(easy cleanup for field dressing), clothes/boots, bow/arrows/release, gun/ammo... good binos maybe... compass if hunting wilderness...

I come from a long line of hunters who smoked on the stand... cigars, cigarettes... scent-lok/scent sprays, etc... *shrugs* I've never had a problem filling the freezer without 'em...

fancy doo-dads and widgets are no substitute for good woodsmanship...