Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best deer hunting gun...help me choose one >

Best deer hunting gun...help me choose one

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best deer hunting gun...help me choose one

Old 07-05-2010, 03:28 AM
Spike

Default Best deer hunting gun...help me choose one

I live in Iowa so im restricted to either a slug gun or a muzzleloader. and im trying to decide which would be the best to hunt deer with. slug gun will have more rounds for follow up shots, but not as good range. and i think muzzleloader will have a better range and more accurate. any opinions or information will be appreciated. thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up shooting slugs so I'm biased in that direction. There are several choices. What's your budget? If you want absolute top notch, look at a Tar Hunt RSG model. For more of an entry level I'd say H&R is doable.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I chose to buy a slug gun I would probably get a Rem 870 pump with a slug barrel, been around a long time and are priced reasonable.
For a muzzy, look at the Knight Vision. You can find them on sale all over the place. They shoot good and are easy to clean, just need to put nice scope on it. The package deals with scopes come with a very cheap scope. I had rather have a muzzy, you don't need but one shot. Just remember you don't have to spend a lot of money on a gun, they all have a straight barrel, go boom and will all kill a deer if you do your job.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Spike

i like the benelli autoloader. but i also was hoping i could swap out barrels for turkey and pheasant hunting. does anyone know if that is possible with the benelli?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

Look at a TC Omega, put some money in good glass and youre set out to 250 yards with enough practice. Ive actually stretched mine out to 300 but I shoot quite a bit.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

I would get a slug gun just in case of a follow up shot.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I also forgot to add the price, The Omega retails around $300 bucks and I personally put the Nikon Omega BDC scope on mine bought for around $280. Sometimes I enjoy hunting with it enough that I carry it when I could carry a rifle.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

I would look into the Savage 220F 20ga bolt action, it comes with their AccuTrigger, same as the rifles. Its all about the trigger when it comes to accurate slug guns, 1" groups at 100 yds. out to 150 yds +. I would go with a slug gun, alot less maintenance than a smokepole.

bb
Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I 2nd that!

Though I would so much rather be able to use a rifle. Btw just get'er done during the bow season!

Originally Posted by Bucktail_Bob
I would look into the Savage 220F 20ga bolt action, it comes with their AccuTrigger, same as the rifles. Its all about the trigger when it comes to accurate slug guns, 1" groups at 100 yds. out to 150 yds +. I would go with a slug gun, alot less maintenance than a smokepole.

bb
Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say go for the muzzleloader. You don't need a follow up shot if you make sure the first shot is a good one. CVA has some great muzzleloaders for decent prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.