Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me

Old 06-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Spike

Default Help me

Well ive been deer hunting for 10 years or so and have never really taking it to seriously but, this year im tired of shooting small bucks and does im looking for a big buck.. I have found a new area that i have never hunted before and have already seen 3 nice 8 point bucks about 200 yards from my mineral site that i just set up last week and put the trail cam at. I am also gonna start feeding the deer with corn and beef fatner. I just wondering if it will be alright to feed them in the same spot i have the mineral lick at, Also how important do you think scent control will be this early in the year, And also i think i no the answer to this but should i be walking in on the deer trails or is that a big no no, and i should establish my own trail into my stand and bait. Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, feed them near your mineral site. Yes, you should still be scent conscious. Walking on deer runs, is there another way to get there without doing it? I don't think this is as critical right now if you are spraying down. I usually rake a path the last 150 yds to my stand and the deer always end up travelling on my path since it is quiet and easier walking than most of their runs.

Remember,if you want a big buck you have to hunt smarter. Anyone can kill a yearling 6 pointer. You have to always think about your thermals/wind, where the does are (for the rut) where their bedding area is and where their water and preferred food sources are. And DO NOT GO THERE MORE THAN YOU HAVE TO. Keep the deer at ease and they will stay there, go in every 3 days checking the cams and messing with the feeders and they will pattern you and go nocturnal or worse yet move onto another area making you chase their tails all season with little chance of killing one of the big boys and then like alot of hunters drop your standard just weeks into the season resulting in another little buck that would have been bigger next year.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

i feel that is the best thing to do because i ussually hunt over my mineral sites. but i recommend going to your local apple orchard and asking them about deer apples, apples that they cant sell to the stores, and they will ussually cost about the same as corn bought from a mill