Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
are deer attracted to birch wood?!?? >

are deer attracted to birch wood?!??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

are deer attracted to birch wood?!??

Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Spike

Default are deer attracted to birch wood?!??

my father has been telling me for years that deer are attracted to birch wood trees, but i disagree. the reason he believes this is mainly because where we hunt, the birch wood trees are fenced of from the wildlife. soooo to finally put this disagreement to rest, what do you guys think? are they somehow attracted to these trees???!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

I dont see any reason why they would be to be honest with you.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by scarp262
I dont see any reason why they would be to be honest with you.
thats what i have been saying to him for a long time, i just wanted to make sure
Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default take a look at this

http://www.dannylipford.com/diy-home...istant-plants/
Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Out of a many hundreds of rubs I've seen in my life-time, I've only seen where a buck rubbed on a birch tree maybe less than 10 times. I've also never seen any in-season activity that leads me to believe they like to eat it either. It doesn't provide any ground cover as most of it's canopy is longer thinner limbs located higher up. The bark doesn't seem to appeal them in any way as well. In observing people's yards and their landscaping, I don't ever recall the deer bother the saplings, so this is an indication to me, they find it not on the top of their dinner list.

iSnipe
Old 06-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you talking about white birch or black birch? Black birch trees look similar to cherry but darker bark. The bucks on my property love to rub black birch. I've seen white birch rubbed, but mostly it's the black birch that they rub.

i've rean that bucks like an aromatic tree to rub. A black birch is certainly that.