Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is modern film making destroying hunting? >

Is modern film making destroying hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is modern film making destroying hunting?

Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is modern film making destroying hunting?

First, I don't watch cable television, so I do not watch the numerous hunting shows available on the years, on TV.
But early this morning I clicked into a local station, and one of their extra signals made available by HDTV. It was a hunting show.

I've enjoyed hunting for decades, but I could only take some three minutes of this "hunting" program. It was horrible. The acting was bad. They also made a couple of basic shooting mistakes. I saw mistakes at the rifle stand; the wrong overpowering rifle for a young shooter; a rifle flinch that was terrible. And I assume that this video was suppose to be instructive. I can see one short experienced hunter. Didn't the "experienced" film maker see it?

And who knows the number of big city viewers, getting their first "experience" with the joys of hunting. To put it in perspective, what I watched would have made one of those commercial informercials, high art.

After watching three short minutes, the loss of hunters in the U.S. doesn't seem so remarkable.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
First, I don't watch cable television, so I do not watch the numerous hunting shows available on the years, on TV.
But early this morning I clicked into a local station, and one of their extra signals made available by HDTV. It was a hunting show.

I've enjoyed hunting for decades, but I could only take some three minutes of this "hunting" program. It was horrible. The acting was bad. They also made a couple of basic shooting mistakes. I saw mistakes at the rifle stand; the wrong overpowering rifle for a young shooter; a rifle flinch that was terrible. And I assume that this video was suppose to be instructive. I can see one short experienced hunter. Didn't the "experienced" film maker see it?

And who knows the number of big city viewers, getting their first "experience" with the joys of hunting. To put it in perspective, what I watched would have made one of those commercial informercials, high art.

After watching three short minutes, the loss of hunters in the U.S. doesn't seem so remarkable.
Gonna sum it up this way

1. Its not a movie so its not "acting"
2. They are hunting videos, made to be how it is when anyone is out there. Not a big Hollywood production.
3. What was the overpowering rifles caliber? If it was at least a 243-270 its fine for a kid.
4. Who gives a rats arse what some city dweller thinks? If they are watching it they like it if not then they don't.
5. If they are new to hunting then there are no mistakes (unless its a major saftey issue)
6. ITS KILLING AN ANIMAL! If someone who does not like to see an animal flailing on the grownd spewing blood out of a hole in its body the I suggest that "whoever" doesn't watch it.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only fools think what they see on TV is REAL, IDOLIZE people on TV and Think the people on TV are role models. That is just one of the things wrong with our society today, they watch too much TV. Our country was built on family values for many years, people in your family should be you role model. This is why this country has become weak and unable to make the proper decisions it needs to be successful and strong. Remember what you see on TV is "Setup" to look real to fool the weak!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think they're both good and bad. Good in the aspect that most of them bring awareness and attention to hunting and conservation. Even though some folks would disagree, they also advertise and therefore sell a lot of hunting equipment. That's going to ensure that these companies keep producing it and keep coming up with more innovative products.

Bad in the aspect that some people expect to see a B&C buck every time they go to the woods because some pro-hunter on TV does. It may discourage some of the more naive people and some of the younger kids. That's why it's important for us as parents to properly educate our children ourselves and not let the Outdoor Channel be the primary source.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

It all depends whos behind the camera
Old 05-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Spike

I used to love hunting videos with a passion about 10+ years ago. When the realtree shows and drury videos and even the kisky videos first came out I couldn't wait to see them. Anymore, I can't stand to watch any of it. The only hunting videos I may glimpse at is a few on youtube other than that I just bypass the outdoor channels.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

90% of these hunts are on pay ranches. They aren't true hunts in the sense of scouting hard hunting land. Then again, that may not make good hunting tv.

I think some of them are okay, but you just have to realize most of this hunting is unrealistic. For a guy to get those kind of chances at so many monster deer he would be paying out the nose.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine

i believe that hunting isn't much like what is seen on tv. i watch some to gain some insight on how big some animals can get but im pretty sure that anyone that has been hunting realizes that the amount of animals that these tv personalities see and pass up would be a great trophy for the average hunter. i wouldn't say that these shows are ruining hunting, they are just producing the best show that they can, because they realize that non-hunters wouldn't be enticed by someone walking around and sitting in a stand for hours on end, without seeing anything (as true as it is)
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if they destroy hunting but in many cases,they shed a very poor light on hunting to non-hunters.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Spike

if people are stupid enough to believe what they see and hear on TV, they deserve whatever the get, turn the bootube off and pick up a book, scared you'll learn something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.